back to article 3 to offer iPhone next year

Orange UK will start selling the iPhone early next month. And 3 has said it will offer the in-demand handset next year. Orange will begin selling the handset in Britain on 10 November – one day after O2’s two-year exclusive ends, according to a report by The Guardian. Orange announced in late September it would “bring the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Brilliant...

I'll be going back to Orange then, O2 have been rubbish!

2. LuMan
    Unhappy

Oh great!

And I just got a bleedin' LG GT505 as a free update! Still, by the time they offer me the next one the iPhone should be free. Then I can see what all the fuss is about!

3. The Vociferous Time Waster

meh...

There is absolutely nothing Jobs or anyone else could produce which could tempt me back to that steaming turd of a network.

4. Andy 97
    FAIL

3???

hahahahaha

Some kind of joke?

If you've ever tried to get a voice call from them, you'll pity poor souls/fools that sign up to this.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

iChav

if "3" is launching the iphone then that surely has to put the final nail in the "coolness" of this product.

Every chav and oik will have one.......... still, should mean regular punter stop having thiers nicked.

ironically, you'll probably get shed loads of minutes and data plans

Now where did that Andriod 2.0 go?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

unlocking?

So the big question is - are O2 going to unlock their users' phones? Do so & lose some customers, but leave the gate open for return. Do not, and slap your customers in the face, causing those that can possibly afford it to leave for good, followed soon after by those that can't.

I'm waiting with bated breath for this. No unlock and I'm paying my way out & jumping. I won't have any company seedily trying to force me to do business with them.

7. danweb
    Alert

Great news for 3 subscribers!

As a current 3 customer, I personally can't wait to get my hands on the iPhone. It will give me a far more varied choice of things to do when I can't get a 3G signal than my current phone (Nokia E71) does...

8. Richard Tobin

Unlocking

According to this page: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article6886886.ece O2 will allow unlocking of iphones after they lose exclusivity. It doesn't say whether they will charge for this.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

unlocking

Good on O2 if indeed they do unlock iphones after contracts. If this happens I'll probably stay with them then & see how their network performs after the initial customer migration. Will still get my phone unlocked though of course - hate the very idea of it!

10. Paul 4

RE:Rob 112

What? Befor the end of the contract? I doubt it, and why should they?

At the end of the contract? They should do already.

11. Dark Horse

2 years?

Has it been two years already? bloody hell. that went quick!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

@ iChav

Every chav and oik already has an iPhone surely?

13. Jason Hall

UI

No idea where all the 3 hating is coming from.

My personal experience with them has been great, whereas o2/orange and vodaphone have all been sh*ts to me in the past.

Oh well... maybe I'm their single happy customer?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's already there...

If you're a high value enough customer and at the end of your contract and threaten to leave without getting an iPhone, you'll eventually be offered one.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@danweb

if you cant get a signal with your nokian e71 you're even less likely to get one with a iphone! (what ever the network)

16. Martin 10
    Coffee/keyboard

@jason

You surely must be the blessed by the great "3" customer service gods.

maybe it was all the people leaving in droves has meant they have bucked their ideas up?

had a nightmare with them and my N73

and lest not talk about hte 3 3G data dongle and there their tesch suppport - but then thats such an oxymoronic statement . Akin to a finding a "Civil" Civil Servant!? actually thats a little unfair, 3 Support staff are up their to be hated along side bankers, estate agents and IT recruitment agencies!

17. Bananimal
    Flame

Don't get the 3 hating.

Yeah their customer service isn't great but neither are the other networks if you have an actual problem (thats one that exists outside of your own head).

If you were on O2 then you'd have a genuine coverage complaint. I used to be able to maintain a reasonable 3G signal on 3 all the way home on the train, an extremely busy commuter route, O2 can barely manage a consistent signal never mind a 3G one and then there's still the issue with the quality of service.

N73?That would be the one with a million software updates and bugs that was released 3 years ago.

18. Darren Burrows

@Martin 10

Thats a tad harsh, surely?

I bought a 3 3G dongle while in deepest darkest south wales on a break because I couldn't get any signal on 02 down there. One incident aside their support was great, they could stand some better training but otherwise...

19. F1reman

can't wait to get on to three

3 don't block stuff (i.e. they allow skype, SSH, Telnet over 3G), they have the best 3g coverage in the country, have decent speeds AND their plans are often much cheaper and less restrictive (see above) of comparable contracts from other operators.

Meanwhile, I've phoned o2 tech support once and the one time I did need to speak to them about an outage where I live, they told me to blap my phone instead. o2 3g coverage is appalling. My phone always says I've got 3g coverage but then when I actually begin to use a data connection the icon on the phone immediately changes to GPRS. And I live in LONDON, FFS! iphone.tvcatchup.com? Forget it on 02 - it's jerko vision if it plays at all.

And just before you start harping on about call connection rates, about once every two weeks I get somebody telling me that they went straight to voice-mail whilst my handset was switched on and apparently working with 02. I tested this problem by dialing using my work phone and sure enough! Thanks o2 :)

I'm not a great fan of o2 and am very relieved to hear that I will eventually be able to move to 3 (or even Orange for that matter).

20. gautam
    Paris Hilton

Bad Idea

If 3 have to wait for next year and with others already offering iphones, the wow factor would have been long gone. Like every chav..Oik etc would flaunt one.

Now whats the next best thing coming out of apple stables ?

Too late to join the party ... and cant be bothered anymore with alternate offerings and touchscreens everywhere.

Paris cos she still has the wow factor.

21. what the fucks a handle?
    Stop

T-Mobile offers to Business customers?

EH since when? Is it just me that read that bit?

They don't offer it as far as I am aware, I can't wait for Orange to sell the iPhone curious to the cost - I hated O2 as they wanted £100 and a more expensive tariff when i renewed - I pay enough :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like