back to article California pair charged with multistate credit card fraud

Federal authorities have accused a California pair of racking up more than $50,000 in fraudulent charges using more than 100 cloned credit cards. Joseph Hatfield, 27, and Jahmeelah Sullins, 22, of Sacramento, used the cards over a five-month period starting in February, according to documents filed in federal court in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James O'Shea
    FAIL

Idiot

He put _illegal_, _card-forging_, devices _into checked baggage_ on _Southwest_?! And then when the bag went missing, he didn't scarper himself, and instead _called in to claim lost baggage_?!

And it all could have been avoided if he'd driven to Phoenix instead. At about 11-12 hours it'd have been a long road trip, but quite doable either as a single long run or as two 6-hour or so runs over two days.

2. frank ly

@James O'Shea re. Idiot

He also packed a photo-ID card in with the illegal devices. You forgot to mention that, or maybe you were just overwhelmed by the waves of stupidity.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

No one ever said crooks were smart

Just greedy it seems.

Give em 30 years on hard tack!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sigh...

If only US banks would implement chip and pin, then they wouldn't have to deal with this crap. Can you remember the last time you heard of someone cloning cards like this within the EU for use in the EU?

5. NBCanuck
    Unhappy

Chip & Pin

Chip and Pin is here, but not rolling out very quickly. My cards have all been upgraded/replaced but not everyon's has. Add that to the fact that merchants seem even slower on the uptake and there will be problems. Even our chipped cards have the old magnetic stripe for use where merchants have the old equipment.

....and let us not forget consumer laziness. I was at a restaurant last week, and a person I was with had the waiter take his CC away to be swiped because he was too lazy to get up and go ot the machine to use his PIN. Some places have portables that let you use your CC at the table, but I''m not sure if these have been upgraded yet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like