back to article Trojan planted on US Consulate website

Webpages of the US Consulate General in St. Petersburg, Russia, were infected by malware earlier this week. The US consulate site was caught up in a much larger hack attack and is not thought to have been targeted as such. The infected pages have since been cleaned up, reports net security firm Sophos which monitored results …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Chris Collins

Xasturbation

I would like some of the -ix fanboys to send in pictures of the case mods where you can insert your willies to give your box of wires sweet lovin. I will then send in pictures of me frottering myself with tools from my toolbox.

Do I want a hammer or a mallet to bang in this nail? Actually I'll whack it with whatever I have closer. The minutiae of their differences become irrelevant as I merrily bash away.

3. Steven Hewittt

RE: Rahmi Guldahl

I would have thought it would be simplier just to get an administrator who knows what he's actually doing so he can make sure these things don't happen.

Called patching, antivirus, firewalls etc. Surely even you in your ignorance has heard of these?

Oh, take your copy of Vista back mate, yours must be faulty - this box with 512mb in it is running enterprise edition just fine thanks.

4. Remy Redert

RE: RE: Rahmi Guldahl

512mb is just barely enough to run Vista Enterprise, don't try to run much else on it. Now being a gamer myself and having just enough experience with Vista Ultimate to hate it, I know from said experience that 2gb is by all means not enough to comfortably run Vista ultimate and any recent games.

The term malware would still have existed if *nix was the main OS, the difference is that it would probably not be nearly as far spread as it is today. On that note, I personally consider any form of DRM software as malware, since I most certainly don't want that crap on my machines. And as a direct result, Vista is malware.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Rahmi Guldahl

http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=http%3A%2F%2Fstpetersburg.usconsulate.gov%2F&position=limited

Running Apache on FreeBSD since June 2006. Maybe they *should* have changed to Windows, if they wanted to be secure.

Freetard.

6. BitTwister

@@Rahmi Guldahl

> Maybe they *should* have changed to Windows, if they wanted to be secure.

Idiot. If you'd bothered checking the details for Mal/ObfJS-C, you would have seen that it affects Windows. As per sodding usual.

I think Rahmi Guldahl is spot on the button.

7. BitTwister

@Steven Hewittt, not @Remy Redert

Re. my previous post: Oops, beg pardon. <blush> It's these cheap plywood fingers, I tells ya...

8. BitTwister

@Remy Redert

> Called patching, antivirus, firewalls etc. Surely even you in your ignorance has heard of these?

I doubt he's ignorant and yes, he probably has heard of them - but surely you're just chanting the typical Windows fanboy mantra. What's astonishing is that no-one's tried lynching Gates & Co. for forcing users to jump through these hoops, despite the promises of "improved" security with each release. Why *are* there so many botnets of compromised Windows machines? Ah wait; of course - that's all the fault of the *users* and not the OS...

You buy Windows, and *then* you have buy the extra stuff/learn hoop jumping to make it secure. Wouldn't things be simpler if Microsoft just did as they promised?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

netcraft are wrong

most of the time not a good idea to take what they have as the

server or platform for any indication of the actual server or platform

fibbing to them is standard operating procedure now for a simple

minded reason which might occur most of you. In any event it doesn't

appear to work as a deterrent.

This topic is closed for new posts.