back to article RIM R&D demos BlackBerry Bold 2 new features

Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com RIM BlackBerry Bold 9700

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oooh underwhelmed

Not much difference to the Bold 1 really except dropping the horrible roller ball is hopefully a good idea.

It is still not a beautiful device, just boring stiff suit executive styling like the other BBs (except the Storm but that is a nice design ruined by dodgy implementation).

I have a personal iphone 3gs and a work's BB Bold both on O2 .. if my company used Exchange rather than Notes OR upgraded to Lotus iNotes 8.newversion.x (which supports access from iphones and remote wipe etc) then I would dump the BB in the nearest company recycling bin and put the SIM in the iphone instead. Sorry but that's my view as a user. There is no magic to the BB and the cost of running your own BES setup is significant and really unnecessary these days for most enterprises when workable alternatives exist (both MS and Unix-based).

2. Geoff Johnson

html?

I notice they carefully avoid showing the e-mail capability. I bet it's still text only.

Also noticeably absent was a demo of the web browsing capabilities. But then there's not a lot of WAP compatible pages out there these days.

3. Richard Cartledge
    Alert

QWERTY FROM No. 30

It may be QWERTY, but yet again, the key layout is in a grid and not staggered like a proper keyboard or the iPhone.

4. Pawel
    FAIL

Hmm

That's quite impressive and I'm not talking about the phone, but about the quantity of the zipper ribbons that fitted into that corner of dudes' jacket :F

5. Dennis Healey
    Alert

Baffled

Can anyone tell me why it is a good idea to put the speaker on the back?

All the sound energy goes unto annoying those around you as you have to turn the volume up to hear it from the front, and as a consequence the battery is hammered unnecessarily. Don't these people use the devices they design?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

RIM bloke was overheard saying.....

"It's everything the Storm 1 should have been....."

As someone that had to suffer one of these pieces of crap [storm 1] hoisted onto me by our IT department I hope the II is significantly better, i.e. it isn't as utterly crap.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Pearl?

Why did they ditch the pearl? I cant stand touch screens of any sort. I want tactile! Thats the whole point of buying the blackberry -- real keyboard and real trackball.

Too bad they jumped on the bandwagon and forgot what their loyal customer base actually like. If we wanted a non-tactile interface we would have switched to iPhone.

Sigh.

8. Jess

@html

Unfortunately the Bold 9000 supports HTML. And keeps re-enabling it.

It also ALWAYS quotes the entire message in an uneditable chunk BENEATH your reply (it can be deleted from the menu, fortunately).

HTML and non inline quoting are very inefficient on a full sized system, but on a system where the data transfer is limited and the screen tiny, it is a complete joke.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like