back to article El Reg launches 'Comment of the Week'

We're almost delighted this crisp October Friday to announce the launch of the El Reg "Comment of the Week" slot, in which the crème de la crème of the previous seven days' turdspurts and shoutpourings will be showcased for the reading pleasure of you, our beloved commentards. The selection will, of course, be a matter for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Fielden-Weston 2
    Stop

These are...

Just so wrong.

On so many levels just wrong!

I think If I tried to taste one of those my mouth would reject me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Sorry...

I've just had a thought about the Moderaterix and liquid fill camel balls, in the same sentence.

I need to lie down now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

What's this got to do with IT?

Had to be said.

4. Anon the mouse

Meh, Rather have......

What about some nice BooBee juice instead.

http://www.unibev.co.uk/1210/8456.html

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Really?

I've always said these competitions are bollocks.

6. ThaRobster
    Grenade

Say what?

I would like to find out more about this product, but there is no way in hell that I'm typing "Liquid Filled Camel Balls" in to Google whilst I'm at work!

While we're here, can I request that box cover as a new comment icon? This is the nearest I could find, although the alt text "Suck On This" is quite apt.

Additional: It turns out that the spell-checker bundled with Google Chrome which activates on comment boxes like this, doesn't know the word "Google". Not self-aware quite yet then.

7. John A Fotheringham
    Troll

And the winner is...

...probably going to be someone (whose merest parameters I am unworthy to compute) commenting on that camel balls picture!

8. Liam Johnson
    WTF?

Where?

Who would do such a thing? Please tell us where these things come from, so I can avoid going there.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Fuck this...

...i'm not playing your sordid game.

Oh, wait......

10. David Webb
    Joke

Oh dear

Camel balls again? Reminds me of this time I got drunk in Cairo, but lets not go there!

11. Annihilator
    Pint

CoTW

Can I please suggest that CoTW, the "C" doesn't stand for "Comment", but for the word that generally manages to offend all. 4 letters, ends in "t".

If this move is successful, may I be the first to nominate that Griffin chap as CoTW for his performance on QT last night?

12. The Original Ash
    Coat

What?

They're not salty?

13. Ron Murray
    Dead Vulture

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!

You could at least have marked that NSFW!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"what quite possibly represents the most ill-advised piece of bubble gum branding of all time."

Don't count on it. 20+ years ago, a Danish upstart in the candy business marketed their candy as "Seagull droppings", "dog farts", "Sewer sludge", "Earwax", "Full diapers", etc. And a sample bag of the whole collection, obviously, "the dump".

An enormous markerting success which made the owner millions by the time he sold it off. In reality, what they produced was of course much the same as everyone else.

15. Jason Togneri
    Joke

Hmm

So what you're saying is that El Reg currently has balls, but once we start commenting, we'll be the ones with more balls than you?

</predictable>

16. SuperTim
    Thumb Up

Ahem...

I am awaiting a suitable article, as i am sure a witticism or two will avail me of a brace of said balls. Slurp!

17. Aaron Jacobs

Where can I get these???

I want some.

Just to see peoples faces when left in the staff canteen!

18. JASR
    Pint

CotW

And there was me thinking that El Reg had gone for the 'c' word to replace the 'Flame' of FotW...

That's the word 'Comic', ...obviously.

19. Les Matthew
    Flame

Sod comment of the week

Whatever happened to flame of the week?

20. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Sorry...

Back in your basket.

21. Number6

One-time offer?

Admit it, you only decided to offer the prize because you'd managed to get something from a Viz advert. If it had been plain boring-brand bubble gum then you'd all just be sticking it under your own desks like chewing gum.

22. Juan Inamillion

Tasteful

Some years ago in Australia I seem to remember a liquid-filled chewing gum called 'Spurt' that went down well.

A friend of mine at the time assured me there was also an after-shave called SureFuck...

23. Winkypop Silver badge
    Flame

But if someone in Virginia wins.....

...do you ship to "America"?

24. Blake St. Claire

Camel Balls -- Only in the Britain Isles

God Bless the British Isles

The Great British Isles Dream

Take a look at my girlfriend

She's the only one I got

Not much of a girlfriend

Never seem to get a lot

Take a jumbo across the water

Like to see the British Isles

See the girls in Caledonia

I'm hoping its going to come true

But there's not a lot I can do

Could we have kippers for breakfast

Mummy dear, mummy dear

They got to have 'em in Dublin

'Cause everyone's a millionaire

I'm a winner, I'm a sinner

Do you want my autograph

I'm a loser, what a joker

I'm playing my jokes upon you

While there's nothing better to do

Don't you look at my girlfriend

She's the only one I got

Not much of a girlfriend

Never seem to get a lot

Take a jumbo cross the water

Like to see the British Isles

See the girls in Caledonia

I'm hoping its going to come true

But theres not a lot I can do

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ITSATRAP!

So are elReg commenters foolish enough to give their REAL details and REAL email address, knowing that if you say anything that upsets elReg, they mock you?

Me thinks this is a trap :)

26. Pete 2 Silver badge

Cisco?

Did they really ask for their name to be associated with this article?

Not sure if that makes me more or less likely to buy their products.

27. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Coat

Of course, after you've slurped on your camel balls for a while, you'll need to be washing it down with some spunk..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/19/cokes_spunky_water_pulled/

Mine's the dirty mac.

28. The Beer Monster
    Thumb Up

@Sarah Bee, @Annihilator

@Sarah: You're cruel. Keep up the good work. You remind me of an editor I know ;)

@Annihilator: Cart? Curt? Cant?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Go

what do the losers get...

2 packets ?

30. MnM
    Heart

Comments turning pro

What stakes!

On the one hand, when commentards become overexcited, the Moderatrix will scold, chastise or castrate, individually or collectively, as appropriate. On the other, Lester delicately dangles his delicious juicy camel bollocks on the tips of our tongues - though we all know only one will get to nibble.

It will be a melee. I, for one, salute not only future winners, but those who die trying.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Can't get Chef out of my head....

'suck on my chocolate salty balls'

oh dear.

32. richard 7
    Boffin

@Winkypop

Now thats a customs declaration form I'd like to see...

Contents: pair camels balls

Checked as a Gift of corse, or maybe an industrial sample?

33. asiaseen

@ Sir R Spoon

Alternatively, the Japanese electronolytical drink, Pokari Sweat

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Moderator

I've got a picture of you and the camel before he had his balls chopped off so send them over toot sweet and we'll say no more about it.

35. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Dear Moderator

Certainly. Would you also like me to send over that video of you and that horse? Or should we meet in person for a friendly discussion? That cafe next to your bank is very nice.

36. Gavin 6

@ Really? By Anonymous Coward

The competitions are fine - its the prizes that are bollocks!

37. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Why, oh why, ...

...sully the gentle art of anonymous commentary with filthy lucre (and gonads)? The art of the comment cannot be bought and sold, like common journalism. A handful of silver (or gonads) might buy you column-inches and gold may rent you a whole tabloid of colour supplements, but no amount of treasure (or heaping pile of gonads) can make the smallest part of a downpayment on good anonymous commentary.

A good comment is born from the sweaty consummation of the union between inspiration and opportunity. A panting, frantic, ecstatic culmination followed by a shameful period of self loathing and recrimination.

No, it takes balls to bring forth a good comment and no box of gonads can possibly replace that.

Yours, Anon (A commenter)

[Please, sirs and madams, may I be considered for FoTW. Thank you. ]

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite as amusing...

as the boxes of liquorice I once saw in Germany called Spunk.

39. C-N

The Taste

Have they been feeding pineapples to the camel? I hear that helps the flavor.

40. John Square
    Stop

One flaw in the plan...

... You are assuming that once a week someone posts something here that impresses (in a positive way) Ms Bee.

I truly doubt this is the case.

Not that some of the comments aren't good, I just doubt that Sarah's impressed by them.

41. Kevin Campbell
    Thumb Up

bad candy

http://www.bad-candy.com

some very clever writing and the most awful "candy" imaginable from around the world.

Haven't checked them lately, but wouldn't be at all surprised to find Camel Balls gum prominently displayed. Somehow, "WTF?!?" just doesn't cover this one...

42. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: Re: Dear Moderator

That was artistic... But, um, five o'clock alright?

43. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: One flaw in the plan...

I'm impressed by your insight and candour, John, I can tell you that.

I think I can manage one comment that makes me smirk in any given week. Just about.

44. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
    Alien

Re: Re: One flaw in the plan...

The same 15 comments posted over and over again by dozens of commenttards. Modified only slightly from the last time that comment was posted. The same pointless memes, horribly rude expressions of personal and cultural predjudice. The same circular arguments repeated ad nauseam. Somehow despite all of that, you aren't totally jaded and inured to all the pointless blithering? You can extract amusement from this sorry lot? My ghast is well and truly flabbered.

That either makes you either the single most patient human being alive or...

...Sarah...are you an alien?

We should be told.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

thanks

This may or may not be SFW, but it's certainly (along with the comments) hilarious and just in time for the Friday rush.

46. Annihilator

@The Beer Monster

"@Annihilator: Cart? Curt? Cant?"

See you next Tuesday, yeah?

47. Evil Genius

So wrong, but...

"just chew to release the juice"

OK, off to be very ill and gargle with gin.

48. Law
    Black Helicopters

so tell me...

... is this going to be written and presented in the same style as Robin Lettice's weekly comments section, only with added camel balls and one moderatrix's rapist-wit??

The old weekly comments roundup used to be the highlight of my week* - and while these figures may not be accurate, or based on anything concrete, I'd say when you stopped doing that roundup, commentard turd-spurts rose 59%, and intelligent/witty comments declined 33%.

Maybe commentards of the week who make it to the roundup can have a golden icon with the dangly camel balls appear by default next to their names, like el-reg staff get their own vulture logo...

* ok, not the highlight of the week, but a nice finish to a long, long week in IT

Copter icon - as I assume you will not be using Royal Mail to deliver your juicy balls

49. Niall 1
    Heart

Judged by the Moderatrix...

Would this be the same Moderatrix who is the epitome of style and sophistication, whose beauty and grace is matched only by her incisive wit, enviable intelligence and saintly patience, the ray of sunlight that occasionally shines through the dull and dreary comments section? I say this because it's true and needs to be said and not because I want put some camel balls in my mouth.

50. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Boffin

@Annihilator

CYNT. What's that supposed to mean? 'Y' in the middle of a work is usually pronounced 'i', so that phonetecially makes 'Kint'

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too bad

It is a shame that Ms. Bee's comments are not eligible. Her's are the best more often than not.

52. 3BEPOTEKCT

RGB Award

Reg Got Balls.

I'm slightly in fear what's going to be for the winner's award next month. Either they will turn the camel front, or lift its tail up.

53. jake Silver badge

@The Beer Monster

In light of the release of Win7, I think the C-word in question is "cost" ...

54. Colin Wilson
    Paris Hilton

The inaugral competition should be called...

(going by the prize)

Camel of The Week !

It's gotta be Paris, she's milked more liquid out of balls than most...

55. Chris 242

CoTW

Totally agree with acronym for CoTW. is inappropriate te for younger readers of El'Reg readers.

Can I Suggest. "James Blunt" of The Week" for comments that are IT inoffensive, middle-of-the-road, generally dull and not likely to make readers evacute coffee on their monitors.

Regards

Simon Salmon-Simpleton

56. Wanda.llewellyn

Camel balls

do they cum in a plain wrapper

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Why, oh why

That's far too lucid and poetic for a FoTW. Might have a shot at CoTW, though.

58. Deadly_NZ
    Megaphone

Camel balls

Here in NZ we have some peanuts called Nicks Nuts and yes the slogan is

"Nibble Nicks Nuts" Now they gotta be better than blowing Camel Bubbles....

59. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Quality of Depravity

Many a tech forum has deteriorated to the realm of Those Who Crap in Their Own Cereal.

Clearly a more depraved crowd and a stern Moderatrix makes all the difference!

But what once was done for the whip and the leather may not be done for treats. Pity, pity!

60. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Thumb Up

@ What?

Personally, I think that comment should win as "funniest within the shortest possible amount of text". Quality.

However, I must not fail to compliment the ever alert El Reg team for finding this stuff. How do you actually get any work done? :-). It's exactly this orthogonal approach to IT that makes people with a twisted sense of humour like me come back (and the good IT stories, of course :-)).

61. B Candler Silver badge
    Coat

Sweet prize

Must have gotten it off E-bay. E-bay gum.

I'll get my coat.

62. James Boag
    Headmaster

Have we not seen this before !

As i recall Viz would give a sachet of instant soup to any top tip published and the best would receive a Newcastle United thermos flask, Could el reg not provide the best with a Organ transplant container (branded with El Regs logos) to hold said balls ?

63. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Heart

@Law

"... is this going to be written and presented in the same style as Robin Lettice's weekly comments section, only with added camel balls and one moderatrix's rapist-wit??"

I'm really hoping you meant 'rapier-wit' - not sure Ms Bee has gone that far yet, but who knows?

64. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Camel balls

Oooh, where can I get my hands on some of these Camel Balls? I'd so love to go to and see one of my clients who happens to have an office full of women and ask them if they want to suck on my balls.

Anon because I'm worried my wife'll read this and get the wrong idea and releave me of my balls.

65. NoBed
    Grenade

NoBed

This puts a great new spin on the art of 'teabagging'

66. skeptical i

Should we be concerned that the camel is shooting red or pink?

Isn't that usually an indicator that all is not well in the nether regions? Caveat emptor.

67. David Sidebotham
    Jobs Horns

What have camel balls got to do with IT?

Come on! When has El Reg EVER had anything to do with IT? It's just a geek mag.

68. Coltek

One could easily get the Hump about this....

.... and that,s all.

69. The Beer Monster
    Grenade

@Annihilator

You don't say? I'd never have guessed...

70. Law
    Happy

@ Sir Runcible Spoon

... It's a dumb & dumber quote (I think)... thought with the Bee being as feisty as she is, it was fairly appropriate. :)

71. hazzi

yum yum!

mmm, surprisingly tender.

72. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

We need a title ?

Like another Ac said - we've gotta know where to buy these. I've been pounding Google searches for ages and still haven't found a vendor.

73. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@"....It's just a geek mag."

Hell yeah, and the pages ain't stuck together.

Anyway, I've smoked a few Camels in my time but I've never sucked their balls. Thats just disgusting.

This topic is closed for new posts.