back to article Google 'music service' imminent, says rumor mill

Multiple sources are reporting that Google is on the verge of launching some sort of "music service." The rumors began with a TechCrunch story Tuesday night that claimed Google had spent "the last several weeks securing content" from the major record labels in the run-up to this alleged launch. But other sources say this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeremy 2

We don't comment on rumour or speculation.

Has there ever been a statement related to a new product that Google has given to El Reg that hasn't consisted of exactly those words?

I can see 'Google Music' myself, it's one of the larger commercial areas of the net so it's not exactly surprising that Google would want to get their dirty mitts on a slice of the pie. Now that you mention it, I'm actually more surprised they haven't done it before now. Although dare I say, perhaps 'Google BitTorrent Search' would get them more hits/ad-clicks...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Me Too!

How sad to see the once "mighty" Google are becoming just another Me Too outfit.

Whatever happened to their claim to be innovative?

3. Logovend
    Headmaster

Unless they take the root of offering actual Music ...

... by that I mean FLAC (or Wav)

It seems like the rest of the internet (with the exception of the excellent Boomkat) is stuck in a 2000-2001 mentality offering compressed music when we're living in the age of broadband.

Although I won't hold my breath ... over the years when all these revolutionary new offering come out like iTunes, LaLa, Sportify, iLike or whatever, the bottom line is they're offering lossy compressed music. No good when you're listening to it on a Cowon FLAC playing player with £300 Audio Technica headphones or a Nad Amp with Acoustic Energy speakers.

I like music which means I like lossless music ... anything else is a rip off ... taking out parts of the song - you're paying for 75% of the song. And I've ruined my ears from many years at gigs, festivals, rock clubs, so that argument of you can't hear the difference does not hold up ... not unless you're really not listening.

Google Lossles FTW!

So endeth todays lesson for a good music service.

4. Jerome 0

@Me Too

Perhaps we should wait and see exactly what they're offering, before accusing them of ripping off the competition?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like