back to article Unibody MacBook unzipped

Apple’s new unibody white MacBook was only officially unveiled a few hours ago, but US repair-and-parts shop iFixit has already taken the machine to bits. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com One of the all-new MacBook’s most notable features is its MacBook Pro-esque unibody polycarbonate enclosure, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Battery

Moving from Li-Ion to Li-Polymer reduces weight as well as improving battery life.

2. Jimmy Floyd
    Coat

Is that it?

Wow - there's not a lot to these machines when you strip them down, is there? Those second and third photos really demonstrate how small the core of a modern computer is. Honestly, the youth of today don't know they're born.

Mine's the one next to the zimmer frame.

3. tempemeaty
    Joke

Right from the toy store...

Looks like they are moving more and more to building things the way prefabricated toys are made.

4. dodge

Hope this fixes the old one's niggles

...the edge of the top case at the front that chips (known prob, they don't even blink when you take it back) and requires the replacement of the whole top case and keyboard

-- the case starting to bend in the middle from being pulled up to open

5. Greg J Preece

Sounds like they took a lot of stuff out

No?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For an extra £100 you can have aluminium

I can see the point of making a lower-cost option and all that, but £799 (plastic) isn't so far away from £899 (lovely shiny aluminium Macbook Pro).

If it was me, I'd save up the extra £100.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

Perhaps I'm just old but that's a hell of a lot to pay for not a lot of hardware.

I guess they've taken the pragmatic approach - firewire isn't as heavily used as USB and I don't know anybody (not that I know everyone in the world :-) that uses IR nowadays.

The lack of rubber feet is a bit curious though - I would have thought they'd stop a lot of nasty residual-reducing scratches.

Still, would love one!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The missing of firewire is really irking

It has firewire, it doesn't... it has firewire, it doesn't...

This is just another generation of MacBook to be skipped...

Using Firewire over USB for external drives is really preferable for transfer rate, for the reduced CPU utilization, and daisy-chaining drives for multiple mirrored sets.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

"I guess they've taken the pragmatic approach - firewire isn't as heavily used as USB and I don't know anybody (not that I know everyone in the world :-) that uses IR nowadays."

IMO, it pretty much kills the system for iMovie use, which is a top use of the Mac platform. It wouldn't kill Apple to have a 4-pin FireWire port; it bothers me that once again, this was taken away.

I agree with you that IR is no big deal.

10. bex

going up

Price is up another £50 makes you think they want to push you towards the aluminium 13 incher which is only another £100 and has firewire an SD card slot and an illuminated keyboard

11. Hans 1
    Thumb Down

ridiculous pricing compared to mac book pro

title says it all ... ;-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ir

allows me to control my macbook pro with the apple remote - i rather like that :D

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The Devil's in the detail

I'd been pricing up a MacBook when I found out another one was on the cards.

The price hike is because it now ships with a 250GB drive rather than a 120GB. It does, however, work out £10 more expensive than the previous version.

But, even better than that, most Apple resellers are currently offering £100 off a new MacBook Pro or iMac if you bring in an old machine so you can get the MacBook Pro for the same price as the MacBook. Simples.

14. Neill Mitchell
    Thumb Down

Can you imagine...

Dell or HP coming up with alternative display connectivity and getting away with it without howls of protest?

Apple are such control freaks. Will this make me buy an Apple display, ummn no. Especially at their prices.

Yes, I know you can buy DisplayPort to DVI converters, but I shouldn't have to shell out extra to plug into my standard monitor or TV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like