back to article Bond's Dr. No dies at 91

Joseph Wiseman, the stage and screen actor who played the title role in "Dr. No," the first James Bond film, has died at the age of 91. Speaking with The New York Times, his daughter, Martha Graham Wiseman, said her father had recently been in declining health. Based on the Ian Fleming novel of the same name, "Dr. No" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Orginals were the best.

The originals were good, old eye-brows Moore wasn't that bad, even if he had to wear a corset in the last few he did!

The lastest ones are just CGI and a bloody huge 2 hour long ad campaign for any overpriced luxury tat, the producers fancy get a free sample of, be it watches, cars, gadgets, whatever!

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

And Michales Mann's Crime Story

where he played a mafia boss AFAIK modelled on Sam Giancanna.

You can guess what DVD's in my side pocket.

3. Andus McCoatover

Forgive my ignorance (OK, gimme a break!)..

..but help me out here - and don't say "Sure. Which way did you come in?"

Wasn't he the guy stroking the white pussy on his lap, as he said "We meet again, Mr. Bond!"?

Google doesn't seem to be successful on this occasion.

-Thanks

4. Zimmer

@Forgive my ignorance

Ignorance is no crime, I believe you refer to the character, Ernst Blofeld...

5. frank ly

@Andus McCoatover re. Forgive my ignorance

The man with the pussy was Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

I tried to Google for "man with a pussy" and was shocked!

I have a question too:

I thought Dr. No stole money from his chinese criminal associates and they chopped off his hands as a 'fitting' punishment. Also, they shot him through the heart, but his heart was on the righthand side of his body (a rare but perfectly functional abnormality). So he survived, etc....

Have I got confused with another character?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andus (or Givus Atipfirst)

No. That was Blofeld. Ernst Stavro Blofeld, if you're looking for full names.

And since you get your information from Googling, instead of staying up late watching reruns on the movie channel when drunk like the rest of us, you might as well check out his wikipedia entry (cringe) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Stavro_Blofeld

- You're welcome

7. Captain DaFt
    Big Brother

@ frank ly

No, you're not confused, Hollywood is!

In the novel, it happened the way you remember, but in the movies.... radiation is scarier than mere crime syndicates!

8. elderlybloke
    Happy

No, you're not confused, Hollywood is!

Bond films are made by an English company.

Fancy calling them Hollywood!

9. asdf
    Thumb Up

off topic but blofeld owns

Don't get me wrong Telly Savalas was a true playa (who loves you baby, get the Players club card) but did anyone else cringe watching him as Blofeld. Best bond character ever and a darn fellow merkin goes and ruins it. Second best character imho goes to the Chinese lackey with the killer hat, Handjob (Oddjob is what script says but that is so boring) Still nothing ever has been as sacreligious as the god awful Flemming rolling over in his grave, bad acid Space Invaders trip that was Moonraker. Jaws in space <shiver>.

10. LuMan
    Coat

Radiation

IIRC the radiation cleanup measures in Dr. No involved Mishter Connery and Ms Undress going along a conveyor belt, being squirted with soap suds and then scrubbed down by NBC-clad goons weilding garden brooms. FANTASTIC!

Now, who wants to join me in a rendition of 'Underneath The Mango Tree'?

Anyone..? Anyone...? No...?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Bond films are made by an English company.

Not any more.

12. Lionel Baden
    Black Helicopters

@Ignorance is no crime

Bloody well is in the UK !!!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dr No and his swanky underground lair

The good old days when the villains spent billions to make a million.

Usually they hang out in a backstreet railway arch selling used cars I have been informed.

naturally our idiot security services and gullible public have spent years believing the former.

14. GrahamT
    Boffin

@No, you're not confused, Hollywood is!

If you really want to compare the book and film, Honey Ryder walks out of the sea naked in the book, but in a bikini in the film. That is far more sacreligous than how Dr No lost his paws.

15. AlistairJ
    Happy

Dr No.

I am sure I have worked for him in a recent job ... apparently he has not one but two Ferraris.

RIP

16. unitron

Re: Blofeld

When "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was made Telly Savalas wasn't Kojak yet, he was still the creepy guy from "The Dirty Dozen" and was a perfectly defensible casting choice, except that he was following Donald Pleasence in the role, which would have been a no-win situation for any actor, but with the change from Connery to Lazenby (who would have been acceptable as Bond if Connery had never played him) as well, it made the movie look like a discount version of Bond.

Of course it had Diana Rigg, which made up for a lot, and the very effective ending with the Louis Armstrong performance of "All The Time In The World".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like