back to article Apple unbans banned 3G TV app

Apple has apparently bent its own rules to rescind a ban on an iPhone app that allows users to stream TV over a 3G connection. Elgato's EyeTV app allows Jesus Phone users to watch live TV and recordings received and stored by their Macs. On Friday it was noticed that an unadvertised feature allows video streaming via a 3G …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Jobs like the app

And Apple does operate on the feudal system.

2. Ian Ferguson
    Paris Hilton

AT&T only?

I'm on the verge of buying this app, along with an EyeTV device for my Mac. It would be great if it would allow TV over 3G. Is it just AT&T which ban this, or do O2 as well?

Seems silly Apple enforcing a rule meant for one country, while harming business in other countries. (Silly, but not surprising)

3. Daniel B.
    Thumb Down

Thanks Apple...

... for reminding me why I don't buy an iPhone. I do understand this is a case of AT&T not wanting users to acutally *USE* their 3G datalink, but it is Apple the one that's applying the stupid restrictions anyway.

I wonder if they actually did appkill the "3G streaming" version... would they refund the affected customers? I think not.

4. Valerion
    Thumb Up

iphone.tvcatchup.com

Works over 3G, runs in Safari so no stupid Apple limitations, and it's free!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Jesus Phone?"

A "Jesus Phone?" Really? Please check your voice dictation software more carefully.

6. Neur0mancer
    Happy

iphone.tvcatchup.com

It's a fantastic site and it gives you a nice wee icon when you bookmark it to the home screen. WIN

7. Simon Orr

Maybe the FCC

Maybe the FCC looking into VOIP gave them cause to hesitate with the ban hammer?

8. Giles Jones Gold badge

I can see why Apple blocks 3G so much

As time goes on the O2 data performance seems to fluctuate a lot more. I can only imagine how bad it much be in parts of the US.

Data on mobiles should be kept for communication IMHO, not streaming music or TV.

9. Christian Berger

tvcatchup

Aww TVCatchup doesn't work in my country. Well luckily I have made such a service myself. :)

I can stream about a thousand television channels from all over europe and the middle east to anywhere I want, thanks to a little plugin in my television setup.

10. rorybaust

Apple running scared

I think Apple may feel that too much negative reporting on the wall garden approach to business "our way or no way, plus your first born" is starting to get noticed by the FCC and I hope the EU is also taking note.

so they take a softly softly approach, at least the customers win a bit.

One day people will wake up and realize that anti consumer policies won't cut it anymore, plus the Iphone is not that special, as as a phone I hear it sucks.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@rorybaust

Wow. What a spectacularly ill-informed post! The FCC have no real constitutional right to prosecute the anti-copmpetative behaviour that you are insinuating. The EU would have grounds either. that's not the ill-informed bit. I don't really have a problem with these opinions - they are yours and you are completely entitled to the, as I am to disagree. It's the last bit I take issue with

"One day people will wake up and realize that anti consumer policies won't cut it anymore, plus the Iphone is not that special, as as a phone I hear it sucks."

Anti-consumer? How many apps sold again? Hardly "anti-consumer" (a hair-brained notion if ever I've 'heard' one). So you've "heard" that the iPhone sucks as a phone? Must be true then! Mines fine, thanks. What a way to make your argument seem childish?! If you use one *for and extended period of time* then feel free to put it down if you think the performance is below your expectations! My favourite is when people like you say how much better other PMP's are because of the Wolfson DAC, the very same DAC that was found in the iPod! In fact Wolfson have been struggling *ever since* Apple decided not to continue using its products! Just because some ill-informed loudmouth has posted it on a message board somewhere DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TRUE!!! Sorry for the rant and the CAPS but this sort of thing is frustrating!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like