back to article Buffalo Linkstation Pro

Buffalo has been making NAS boxes for years and the LinkStation Pro is its latest iteration for home and small office use. Housed in a sleek and shiny black unit, the model we tested includes 1TB hard drive – other options are 1.5 and 2TB. Buffalo Linkstation Pro An easy option? Buffalo's Linkstation Pro The front has a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Citizen Kaned

anything like old web interface?

as that was terrible. also the drive goes down twice a year due to it not working when daylight savings occurs.

its horrible to have to create shares via some interface that randomly resets access every now and again.

we have a terrastation 2tb here and its frankly shite

2. Georgees

After reading what you wrote...

It seems exactly the same as the old one.

It just has a new case.

3. Graham Dresch

NFS

Like many other NAS boxes in it's class, it does not support NFS.

I will not be buying this one.

4. Lou Gosselin

OpenLink/FreeLink

The boxes are much more useful with root access.

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page

I use one to run callweaver (asterisk fork), apache2, ssh, mysql, openvpn, samba, gcc, perl, etc.

Yes compiling is slow, but it has no problem hosting web pages, say, for an image gallery. For VPN, this device was not the bottleneck with my ISP.

The original PPC models were ~3X faster than the newer ARM9 variants computationally. Many operations were annoyingly slow (always waiting for aptitude to come up). However the ARM9 cpus, at 400mhz, are still better than some of the popular hacked embedded devices such as the NSLU.

5. A Gould

Not for techs?

Any technical users will gut this of the stock firmware and slap Debian on it.

1.2GHz CPU and 256MB RAM, should run very nicely.

6. andrew mulcock
    Grenade

DLNA , don't make me laugh

What does "DLNA-certified media streamer" mean.

I have various bits of kit that are all officialy DLNA certified ( v 1.5)

will they talk to eahc other, wil they heck,

the latest is sony, who now say they are DLNA , but only between Sony kit.

Ha

what a laugh

7. Aaron 10
    Dead Vulture

Mistake?

The included software does not find LINKSYS products on the network, it finds BUFFALO products on the network!

8. John Latham

No mention of RAID

Who wants a NAS without redundancy? Not me.

Just set up a ReadyNAS Duo with 1TB mirrored hotswap disks. Easy peasy setup and cheap enough (€240+VAT all in). The ReadyNAS includes Firefly which does a great job streaming both AAC and WMA to Songbird clients, but won't serve WMAs to iTunes for whatever reason.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Seagate inside?

'Cos if it is, they can cram it where the sun don't shine ...

10. Jay 2
    Linux

@No mention of RAID

I too have a ReadyNAS Duo, though only with 2x500GB. Still it does CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, HTTP, DLNA streaming (to PS3 in my case) and even rsync! Plus once rooted you can SSH on, and I've also thrown on Transmission as my torrent client of choice. Pretty easy to use and I've made tweaks to make sure that it only torrents between midnight and 8am when I don't get monitored for bandwidth usage. All in all, I'm extremely happy with it.

11. unitron
    Badgers

Nothing so elusive as perfection

Does this suffer from the same path length restriction that plagues the older models?

Web 2.0, as we're talking about un-lived-up-to expectations here.

This topic is closed for new posts.