back to article Googleplex menaced by giant cream cake

First Cupcake then Donut emerged from Google's Android oven, and now a giant éclair has been spotted at the company's North American HQ – igniting speculation that the mobile OS is on track for another firmware update. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com When Android’s first update – Cupcake, aka …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Waiting...

I'm still waiting for HTC/T-Mobile (UK) to pull their respective fingers out and allow me 1.6 (Donut) on my Hero!

2. MrWeeble

The Donut is on the other side of of the Android

"Although the cupcake was never paired with a giant donut - to signify September’s release of Android’s Donut update, aka version 1.6"

See this page for a pic of the giant donut: http://phandroid.com/2009/09/10/donut-has-arrived/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Where's my Donut then?

Come on Google and T-Mpbile UK .. I WANT MY DONUT!!

Maybe they didn't get a big donut because they couldn't find a big enough mug of coffee to dunk it in?

4. Ian Ferguson
    Pint

Calling all local students!

This is now your target trophy!

5. Skrrp
    Linux

/ it already

For all you waiting for T-Mobile to issue a patch you might wait quite some time.

Root the units and run what you want.

I've rooted my G1 to JF Cupkake (JF1.2) and now have wifi tether and a 1GB application partition on the SD. Radio firmware update too for more signal.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

very anonymous coward

Do you think the boss has a penchant for big girls and is luring them in? How do you get a girl with an above average BMI in to bed? Piece of cake.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Donut and Vodafone UK

Supposedly HTC/Vodafone getting the update on the 19th October...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open source BS

What Google needs to do now is actually release the binary image on their website compiled with all common drivers in it, and distribute it freely.

AFAIK the only way to get this new update is to wait for your carrier or manufacturer to make their own build specific for your phone, then download it from their website. But since neither HTC already sold me the phone, and AT&T could care less, so where is my donut / eclair?

This whole new "open source" movement in phone OSes sounds allot like the old "closed" bullshit the more I see it play out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Looking for food

No sign of giant pastries here

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Will try street view.

10. vincent himpe

andro what now ?

an update for a platform that is avaialble on one or two handsets ...

11. Kotonoha
    Stop

@VoodooTrucker

It's "couldn't care less", not "could care less".

If you could care less, you do care.

12. alun phillips
    Linux

Got Root

Come on, if youve not got Donut the one click exploit http://www.androidspin.com/sectionguidesandtutorials/10-rooting/58-android-rooting-in-1-click-limited-time-only-until-it-gets-patched still works and you can get donut for yourself and begin to severe the shackles that bind you to the big G

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

@Skrrp

Where did you get your root image?

14. My New Handle

@vincent himpe

As they say in the newspapers, watch this space.

Have you been living in a cave or just climbed down out of a tree?

15. Skrrp
    Linux

@VoodooTrucker

JesusFreke

http://jf.andblogs.net/2009/05/01/when-is-your-15-coming-out/

There are others out there too. Don't expect the G1 to handle like a G2 with cupcake but I haven't had any problems.

Update at your own risk, I nearly bricked mine twice during the procedures and had to rely on my Linux knowledge and the ssh-over-USB to sort it out.

If doing the app-on-SD thing, app-private has to be moved along with app for some paid apps to work.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Skrrp

Thanks Skrrp!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like