back to article Playmobil figures feared lost in Great Fire of Guildford

We at El Reg's Playmobil unit fear the worst following a Guildford school's miniature re-enactment of London's hottest historic moment. Pewley Down Year 2 infants were earlier this week treated to a "live demonstration of how quickly the blaze would have spread during the Great Fire of London in 1666". Teacher Rosie Welch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

meh

The link provided gives me a blank page, even if I enable javascript.

2. Richard 81

Dead link?

Or have we managed to kill GetSurrey's servers.

Also, there are a few places in Guildford I'd like to see used for an even larger scale re-enactment. Park Barn would be favourite.

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Flame

not so authentic

There i went, hoping to catch a glimpse of Playmobil people melting and burning to death. But no, nothing, just cardboard. But I quite liked to banner ad for Lego on the same page.

So, if El Reg's Playmobil Department is worth anything they'll recreate the whole scene much to our (I assume not to be the only one) better amusement - on time for tomorrow's Friday.

EA

4. Jolyon Ralph
    Thumb Down

Hmmm...

Sounds like a great way to get a whole new generation of kids interested in arson

5. Adam Connelly 1
    FAIL

Failure to provide amusement!

I agree with Evil Auditor. The article is a failure because it fails to include a re-enactment of the disaster. Where's the playmobil? Where's the IT angle?

While I'm at it - we should be able to choose more than one icon. One icon doesn't adequately describe my emotions!!!!?!?!?!

6. N2
    Joke

CRB?

I wonder if the firemen had CRB checks before handling their hoses in front of the children?

7. Alfonso Vespucci

If you insist

I love the smell of burning plastic in the morning.

This worked for me

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/g/2058902_pupils_watch_great_fire_of_london_model_burn

8. Michael B.

Link changed

Whatever dodgy CMS they are using changes the link whenever they change the title of the story so the current link is now:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2058902_pupils_watch_great_fire_of_london_model_burn

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Won't someone think of the children!

oh wait...

10. ilikejam
    Unhappy

What?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

11. CADmonkey
    Flame

Here's the link to playperson carnage

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/g/2058902_pupils_watch_great_fire_of_london_model_burn

You're sick if you click.

Still no word on casualties.

12. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Do not worry

If the children (and their teacher) are as historically knowledgable as they suggest, they will know that the death toll from the fire was very small.

(although rumours spread faster than the fire, that foreigners were deliberately starting fires; leading to street violence and lynchings of anyone a bit forrin looking, particularly the Dutch immigrants. Did the children go on to re-enact any of this?)

Still hoping we can have a playmobil character icon instead of one of the lesser-used icons (Bill Gates angel?)

13. Jimmy Floyd
    Thumb Up

On a serious point...

...well done to the teachers for actually allowing children to be aware of some form of danger.

14. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

link

Fixed now. Aren't you happy?

15. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Flame

Corrected link

It's "watch" not "see" ...

Not quite as good as El Reg's offerings. More flames though. Something El Reg might consider in future ?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I looked at the pictures

"Oh...the humanity...."

17. Witty username
    Thumb Up

@ n2

I lol'd :D

18. Elmer Phud
    Thumb Up

@N2

Looking at the pictures carefully it seem the children are handling the firemen's hoses, no doubt there was a risk assessment carried out before they were let loose on the spurting nozzles.

It's also good to see that the only worried looks are on the faces of some of the adults.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Do not worry

alternatively there is the other theory that the low number of deaths attributed to the great fire was that it was measured by the number of bodies found and where firestorm was big enough then there wouldn't be any bodies left to count.

20. Anonymous John

Can I be the first

to ask El Reg for a Playmobil reconstruction reconstruction?

21. RainForestGuppy
    Thumb Up

re:Jimmy Floyd

Agreed.... I wonder how they got that past the Health and Safety Nazis.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

link

Ecstatic. Cheque's in the dog.

23. Oivind

Recreate

ERPS must show us the true story as it unfolds, they may be able to use smaller toy figures from Denmark to act as the Playmobil figures in the recreation. Oh... and I'm sure ordering a few replacement screws for your laptops/desktops from some reputable vendors may result in (in)appropriate sized boxes for the houses.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

But we all know...

...the baker was a mear scapegoat.

Gawd rest his soul.

25. Frizz
    Flame

Think of the Play People!

This is shocking, such terrible loss of plastic! Surely the playmobil rights organisation has something to say about this!

26. jai

the images are too terrifying

oh the huma.... i mean the playmobilanity!!

i fear the worst for the baker and his wench :(

27. disgruntled yank

splendid idea

Was it funded by smoke alarm manufacturers? Were my own offspring treated to such a display, I'd invest in another half dozen, secure all matches, etc.

28. Parax
    Flame

Oh the Humanity!

or playmobile equivilent...

29. Toastan Buttar
    Terminator

Optimus Prime

I'm sure I can see him engulfed in flames in one of those pics.

30. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

@ Elmer Phud

Not sure how to read that...an interesting choice use of words to say the least.

31. Dave Murray
    Flame

Everyone knows the baker was innocent

It was Optimus Prime what done it!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I was waiting for the disclaimer:

"No Playmobil figures were harmed in the making of this reconstruction"

But no,

Now I'm traumatised and won't be able to sleep tonight

33. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I want to see the recreation

In time for Friday (of any week). thanks

Just be careful of burning plastic. I can tell you from personal experience that it's no fun at all.

34. mh.
    Flame

Pish

A woman could piss it out, as the lord mayor of London said about the last one. Somehow I'm not sure that's a quote they reach in schools though.

35. Quirkafleeg
    Pint

Definitely not the baker…

His replacement was in attendance; and the cause was a Terileptil weapon.

This topic is closed for new posts.