back to article Linux Foundation woos with lifetime linux.com handle

The cult of Linux is sweetening its membership perks this week to drum up more dollars for the open source kernel. Linux Foundation is now offering its individual members an option to secure their a lifetime @linux.com email address with a one-time fee. Plus, it's providing discounts on hardware from Dell, HP, and Lenovo. "We …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sounds Like a Good Deal

I don't really need another email account but the discounts look to be well worth the $250 and the email address would be a cool (if slightly geeky) bit of cyber-bling.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Yeah, right.

"People forget, because Linux is such a successful commercial platform, that it also represents a real social good"

It plants trees, eradicates poverty, cleans water, cures malaria and cancer...

3. Mobius

@TWBurger

You don't get an email account, just an address, forwarded to another of your choosing. You can change the address (linux.com alias, or destination mailbox) any time.

4. gerryg
    Linux

@Charlie Clark: I salute your perspicacity

By extending the life of your computing hardware and not diverting society's economic resources unnecessarily into purchasing software produced for marketing reasons and itself requiring extra hardware, you will indeed be freeing up resources for tree planting,k eradicating poverty, producing clean water, curing malaria and cancer..."

The one you missed out (a simple oversight on your part, I'm sure) was that by extending the life of the hardware Linux also directly contributes to reducing landfill

5. Antoinette Lacroix

Nothing new

As TWBurger said - it's only an address. You get a @unix.net address for free, if you manage to answer a few simple questions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Surely anyone who is sad enough to want an @linux.com email address,

by definition,

won't have any friends,

so they don't really NEED an email address in the first place ....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

The discounts might make membership worthwhile if they can be used from the UK; does anyone here know which discounts can be used from the UK?

8. Geoff Mackenzie
    Linux

@Charlie Clark

Actually, FOSS saves lives, and may well be involved in tree planting, poverty eradication, water cleaning etc. IT is useful - FOSS means that usefulness is available to anyone with a 10-year-old PC, an internet connection and some time to learn.

Do some googling. FOSS made itself very useful in the aftermath of the December 2004 Asian Tsunami. See also Schoolnet Namibia and countless other examples.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Mobius

Something that some registration companies provide for free then but with multiple email addresses at a domain - you just need to register the domain for around a tenner. So ummm.. let me think about this...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

UK Discounts too?

Are those discounts available world wide? Can you use them via web purchases? Do you have to go direct to the vendor when you could buy kit cheaper elsewhere anyway?

I'm a Linux fanboy my self but those benefits need expanding on.

11. Toastan Buttar
    Linux

Re: I salute your perspicacity

"you will indeed be freeing up resources for tree planting,k eradicating poverty, producing clean water, curing malaria and cancer..."

Is there a GNOME version of Eradicating Poverty ?

12. Mobius

@AC

OK - just go register linux.com then!

retard

I think the point is more to donate something to the foundation and get something in return for it, that doesn't really cost them anything.

13. Blake St. Claire
    FAIL

ooh, ooh, sign me up then

I really need _another_ email address because the address I've been using for 15 years -- the one that all my friends and family know -- all the sudden I need to change that.

And I can be neighbors with Linus and Maddog too. Oh wait, they probably have other email addresses that they use.

It'll be amusing to see which sycophants get and actually use a linux.com address.

fail, Epic. As far as I'm concerned.

14. Sean Hunter
    Gates Horns

I want

To register billg@linux.com. You know it makes sense.

15. gerryg
    Linux

@toastan butter

Excellent. Took me a couple of seconds to work out what you were talking about :)

It might even have been a freudian slip, since I only use KDE

16. Michael Fremlins

I think it should be free

I know - I'll fork it. I'll register linuxisthebestestoperatingsystemontheplanet.com. Actually I'd better make that gnulinuxisthebestestoperatingsystemontheplanet.com. Who with me? If you are not, it means you are against free and open source software.

17. Aaron 10
    Joke

Binaries

sudo apt-get install eradicating-poverty

Sorry, it's CLI only. The GUI is far too opulent.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like