back to article Google Wave: Testers line up for the love-in

Google is inviting 100,000 testers to preview its hippie-on-stilts communications platform - Wave - from today. Mountain View has extended its testing pool in preparation for pushing Wave out to many more users at some point soon. For now, though, Google isn’t revealing when the platform will be pumped out to the mainstream. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. buddypepper
    Stop

umm....doesn't this already exist?

I haven't used Wave yet, myself - but hasn't this already been invented? Isn't this just Google's version of Facebook?

2. Patrick O'Reilly

@buddypepper

Not even close. It's ((email+im+wiki+RDP)-evil)*GWT

3. buddypepper

@Patrick O'Reilly

So it's Facebook+RDP (which comes with every windows/linux box anyway).....I'd say it's *evil though, not -evil....Google's got way more sinister potential than Facebook!

4. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

"strong developer ecosystem"...?

Damn you, Google; you just busted my bullshit detector.

5. Patrick O'Reilly

@buddypepper

You don't see Facebook going about open sourcing their platform, or trying to improve the user experience by optimizing the client side by investing in a new browser.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Patrick O'Reilly

You don't see google allowing the government complete access to user data upon request either!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

curious

Any of you watched the I/O presentation or any of the wave extension videos that have come out since? The translator bot was pretty fancy, the workflow stuff from sap looks nice and the service bots looked pretty cool too. Also the application integration for blogs and service desk software is pretty damn cool.

First online toy to get me excited... well ever if I'm honest about it. We'll see what it's like when we finally get our claws into it, but I see it being useful both professionally and socially.

8. Barney Carroll
    Thumb Up

Even after all these months…

…Commentards still haven't found the time to watch the demo before panning the product.

I'm really excited about the whitelabel corporate wave install applications. Goodbye AIM/MSN/Skype/Outlook/Exchange, no more spending 20 min trying to find that document/email thread/meeting minutes. Everything everybody's said in one place, with history of changes.

And then when the company cuts loose the obsolete M$ support IT team, they can afford to start paying the people doing actual work.

9. Simon C

Watched the presentation

gotta say, it wet my appetite.

Im not developer, purely an end user, but it looks so useful and as plugged in the demo the odd thing is, is that its ALL done via a browser.

got great potential for both business and personal use.

damn you google, give me my god damn invite.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

!Zuckerberg Man in the Middle Attack

Anything that attempts to get rid of the facebook man-in-the-middle attack should be welcomed.

Online I want to communicate and share photos directly with my friends - not with zuckerberg, his creepy partners, not with biz stone and his madison avenue pals and not with google and their shady state government overseers.

There needs to be a concerted effort by the tech community to shift back to an open peer to peer architectures for social & business networking - where clients and servers that implement open protocols and messaging formats are available from multiple vendors and can be run independently, securely and privately by individuals and organisations on their own internet connected platforms and devices.

By allowing our private data including details of our social contacts and interactions to be held on 3rd party centralised servers we are sleep walking into a big brother nightmare scenario of global proportions.

The blind stumble into the cloud client server model is a terrible mistake which will have serious consequences for personal liberty and freedom online unless checked.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Steve ten Have
    Thumb Up

I got my invite

Did you get yours?

13. Michael Shaw
    WTF?

Missed the point

Most of the comments have missed the point about what Wave really is.

Yes, they have written some nice email / social site / groupware software however, the real inventive step is actually the messaging protocol

What they demonstrated is that you can collectively manage and update some arbitary XML in a completely peer to peer maner, with differnet security permisions on parts of the tree.

Now they may have demonstrated this using email and instant messaging, but they COULD have implemented ANY multi user distributed application. Google Wave has the potential to make it easy to implement large scale distributed applications

14. Richard Gadsden 1
    Badgers

It's not Facebook, it's SharePoint

Really, it's not that hard to understand; they took a look at SharePoint and said "that's cool when it works; let's do a version that is cloud not intranet and works properly and is free and isn't tied to Office".

And they did, and it was pretty good, if not perfect, which tends to work well when the alternative is the price that SharePoint is.

15. Kev B

Sharepoint with a decent Interface

I think a lot of people seem to think Wave is aimed at the individual. It's not. It's target audience is organisations that for example want to use Sharepoint without the huge cost involved. I see so many applications this could be used for.Also being mostly open source there will be a huge developer community. The I/O demo needs to be watched to understand the potential for Wave. I'd jump at the chance to get this into the workplace. Incredibly easy sell if you have multiple sites which requires real time communication.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like