back to article Nokia (officially) ports Qt to Maemo 5

Nokia has created an official port for the Qt graphical toolkit to Maemo 5, hoping to entice more developers into making apps for its upcoming N900 tablet-that-is-actually-a-smartphone. N900 will run on the Maemo 5 OS, which uses the GTK+ framework for app development. But Nokia plans the Maemo's next incarnation to use Qt, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. haroldd
    Unhappy

Maemo is okay, and people should encourage its use

a) yes, devels who made Maemo apps using GTK+ will bitch that they have to redo them to use Qt. Too bad. So sorry.

b) You clowns should be supporting Maemo. In fact, you should be encouraging its use on other ARM-based portable devices. The world desperately needs more handheld computers that don't suck down and waste loads of power, and are open-source (meaning, not whatever the iPhone runs, and not the garbage called Windows Mobile).

Maemo 5. for all its peculiarities, has a track record and a good history of reliability on Nokia tablets. It's done a poor job of attracting independent app developers, because of the horrible devel infrastructure. Nokia appears to be trying to change that.

Android? WebOS? Both crippled. Don't make me laugh.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

N900?

Shouldn't this really be called the N97i, or possibly N98? This is basically just a second generation N97. OK it runs Maemo, but it's just a second generation N97...

3. Duncan Hothersall
    Unhappy

Erm

"But Nokia plans the Maemo's next incarnation to use Qt, due to the appeal of apps that compile easier across Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Windows Mobile."

No, Nokia plans the Maemo's next incarnation to use Qt because they now own Qt. Maemo is actually a very healthy developer ecosystem, which is having Qt thrust upon it by Nokia's boardroom, not their engineers.

4. Martin 6 Silver badge

IT angle?

I'm confused, it's friday afternoon - where the breasts/bottoms/politics angle?

5. Bod

@AC 11:48

"Shouldn't this really be called the N97i, or possibly N98? This is basically just a second generation N97. OK it runs Maemo, but it's just a second generation N97..."

It's nothing like the N97. The look is similar, it has a resistive touchscreen still, and much of the communication hardware is the same as any old modern Nokia, but essentially it's an utterly different beast. It's not even compatible with any N97 and other Symbian apps.

Different dimensions, larger resolution screen, totally different and more powerful processor with extra GPU that the N97 lacks, completely different operating system (N97 - Symbian/S60, N900 - Linux based Maemo), look and feel and application suite is entirely alien to what any Symbian user would be used to.

Next gen N97 I would guess is likely be another S60, and the one after that, and after that, etc. N97 doesn't have Qt either. That comes with Symbian^4 down the line.

Nxxx Maemo devices are a parallel development to the Nxx phones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like