back to article Twitter bans security maven for sharing naughty link

A well known security researcher was banished from Twitter for more than two days for including the address of a malicious website in a two-month-old dispatch. On Tuesday, Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer for anti-virus provider F-Secure, found his Twitter account suspended with no explanation. Every one of his tweets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems like...

...it'd make more sense to trap it real-time, and fire something back saying, "This link is suspicious. Did you really want to send it? Click here to contact a moderator about this" or something... Granted, there'd be a brouhaha about that, too, but it seems a bit more surgical.

2. copsewood
    Big Brother

On Faecesbook too

I messaged a relative with a RFC1738 compliant URL containing a username and password. It seems Facebook software decided to strip out the credentials. They don't seem to like me sharing private family photos which they are not themselves authorised to vet. I had to send him the URL outside Facebook using ordinary email.

I think I'll stick with email. At least I can run my own email server and decide for myself what to relay and I don't have to put up with corporates deciding for me what I'm allowed to communicate and how I'm allowed to communicate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

We're in control here and you better believe it

Now, what was i saying again?

That's right, just move along. Nothing to see here.

4. Carter Cole
    Black Helicopters

how bout a warning for bad urls

how bout before it sends you to destination ti warns you that this link is for security researchers and that it has malicious code behind it and if you click your ok

5. ZenCoder
    Thumb Down

There is a simple logical explaination.

The head of customer service at Twitter used to work in Apples iPhone application approval

department.

6. digDeeper
    Grenade

not better late than never

two months later is so incredibly ineffective--there must be more here that Twitter doesn't like about the Maven

7. James 55

Kid admin?

Do twitter employ kids who roam forums as admins??

8. Steve Evans

Ummm...

Well I guess after two months they can't be accused of a knee-jerk reaction... Or any kind of effective policing either!

9. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Unhappy

If they're editing...

...then they're taking editorial responsibility for everything on the site. Wow! That's brave!

(OK, perhaps not. Perhaps the law says that someone can munge your words so as to deny your freedom of speech and misrepresent you in public without penalty. Yeah. I expect it does.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By all means

"Mosey along now, nothing to see here".

I have already taken that advice to heart, and have never had anything to do with Twitter. Nor do I see any reason to do so in future.

11. Georgie
    Thumb Down

Re Kid admin?

I'd say yes they do, judging by the appallingly unprofessional message given.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Simple

Just don't use the crap.

Just don't.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agree with Simple (AC 12:14)

Facebook, MySpace, Twitter.

Such systems do not exist for your benefit. If you use them, if you put your information on there you are giving it to them.

Don't be a muppet.

14. A. Lewis
    Thumb Down

I can imagine working at twitter.

(In my darkest nightmares, that is.)

The corporate communications policy mandates no more than 140 characters in any memo, e-mail message, circular or formal document.

And judging by the appallingly unprofessional response given to one of the big names (such as there are) in computer security, I think it might be true.

Clearly a bunch of tweets.

15. TeeCee Gold badge
    Badgers

Re: Kid admin?

It's getting to the stage where being an admin with a mental age of 12 or less is the "must have" item on a CV.....

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spooky!

Twitter erases all his messages and yet the Reg can still link to them!

17. Neil Stansbury
    Thumb Down

Freedom of speech...

Sure - just so long as we agree with it.

18. Andrew 47
    FAIL

crap filtering

Reminds me of experiences sending abuse reports to ISPs for phishing activity, which would then be blocked for "malware" because the email contained a phishing URL. Then you send them a munged link so the AV doesn't block it, and they respond that the URL didn't work. Bastards

19. The Original Ash
    WTF?

Twitter has some useful applications

You can use it to find out when your favourite musician uses the bathroom, what colour his / her wee was, and if they used soap when washing their hands.

I don't see the appeal...

20. JasonH
    FAIL

Why live filtering won't work

To be fair to Twitter, live filtering does not solve the problem - they need a system that can filter retrospectively.

Most modern malware can spread very quickly, often way before AV and URL-filtering companies have a chance to react. In other words, live filtering of Twitter posts will not work for a new, fast-spreading malware pandemic.

That said, it seems the best solution would be to combine live filtering (for known malware sources) with retrospective filtering (for malware sources *recently* identified).

On both counts, Twitter currently fails. Lack of live filtering creates too large a threat window for known malware, and a slow retrospective scan merely compounds the problem. Added to that, one or more levels of indirection (TinyURL and their ilk) can be automated and compounds the issue. This could be 'solved' by implementing a Twitter-managed URL linking system, but this could also present user acceptance, scalability and further redirection issues.

Not an easy one to solve, but you can't be seen to be ignoring the problem either.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Freedom of speech... 20:08

Oh I'm sorry, is Twitter trampling all over your human rights by removing links that point to malware sites?

If you really think that Twitter, Facebook and a bunch of other personal info gathering sites for some reason owe you something like privacy, freedom of speech or even a fair policy on using their services then you need to think again.

They can do what they like with any information you voluntarily submit to them.

22. eJ2095

FAcebook

Also there chat features hates you typing too fast... lol

Or pasteing many youtube links it gets quite upset with you

23. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    FAIL

Incredible

I'm quite flabberghasted. Not by Twitter attitude (although suspending the account and removing all posts might have been a bit extreme) but by the reaction it raises. If you want to share serious info, why don't you do it on your website, or even on your blog? You can host those yourself for peanuts, or get them on a hosting platform for barely more. Then you can post links to that on twatter if you really have to use that bog-standard platform. But complaints about random filtering on a free "microblogging" service? Seriously?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like