back to article Apple posts iPhone update

Apple has released a firmware update for the iPhone which supposedly fixes several “sporadic” and “intermittent” bugs in version 3.1 of the handset's system software. iPhone_312_firmware Firmware 3.1.2 fixes several iPhone bugs Version 3.1.2 supersedes version 3.1, which was released back in early September. Since then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Jail Breakers beware

Jail Breakers stay away this update is know to cause your iPhone to explode when you play Jamie Cullum from within the Spotify app.

True Story.

2. IHateWearingATie
    Alert

Bah, what about the other problems lots of people are having

Lots of people also posting about the problem my wife has – failing sync with the message ending “…the disk cannot be accessed”. It’s related to Music as when you switch off syncing music it works perfectly.

Another annoying intermittent fault!

3. Annihilator
    Thumb Down

No battery

So no indication if this fixes the apparent battery drain? Oh how I wish I could go back to pre-v3

4. Mark Powell 2

Ah, right

I wondered why I'd been rebooting my iPhone about three times a day recently. I just put it down to O2's shonky 3G network.

5. nickrw
    Megaphone

"Sporadic"

Sporadic my ass.

6. BeefStirFry
    Unhappy

3G reception

I hope it fixes the 3G reception problem, and the huge battery drain caused when it keeps switching between EDGE and 3G.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixed the mail privacy hole?

Have they sneaked in a fix for this hole? ... https://secure.grepular.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/02/apple-mail-privacy-hole/

I don't have access to an iPhone with that firmware in order to test...

8. Grumpytom
    Coat

damned

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. For years my Nokia would seize and flop - did they give a shit, nope. And never did until real competition arrived.

Would my blackberry synch - not a freaking chance, battery life - don't make me larf. Good apps? nah. easy user interface, WTF.

Now we have a manufacturer who does improve the product, and all we hear is bitch bitch bitch.

HELLO it will never be perfect however it is pretty fuckin' good. It's life; get over it

Mine's the one that had the iPhone in the pocket

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: damned #

1. Do not blame Nokia for all of that. While they have their fair share of blame some of it should be firmly put onto the operators. Nokia builds custom firmware loads for the operators and these are not build unless an operator requests them. Example -O2 and N95. NOT A SINGLE UPDATE. NONE. NADA. ZILCH. Last time I checked it was still sitting with the initial load which will puke on VOIP after 5 minutes due to a memory leak and freeze solid after 3-4MB of packet data. So yeah, it will continue to seize and flop - welcome to O2 customer service. Not just O2 actually - whoever is your operator of choice which has not bothered to request updates _INCLUDING_ security fixes from Symbian/Nokia. And even if you try to buy an "unlocked phone" in the UK you will still find it with Vodafone firmware, not with generic one (that is how my E71 arrived from mobilefun). So you are still at the mercy of the operator requesting Nokia to build for it.

2. Nokia has also been improving the product. A lot of things have improved considerably between earlier and current firmware for let's say the same N95. However once again - if you want to get them you need to buy a _REAL_ unlocked phone somewhere outside the UK. Otherwise you cannot update it (at least using the normal route).

10. Jim Coleman
    Pint

Time for this one...

No-one else has said it yet so I will...

"Apple. It just works"

NOT

Actually my mate's iPhone crashes and freezes regularly and my WinMo 6.1-powered Touch Diamond.......doesn't.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE:Time for this one...

"Actually my mate's iPhone crashes and freezes regularly and my WinMo 6.1-powered Touch Diamond.......doesn't." Still, the iPhone is 1000 time more useful - even when its off!

12. Craig Mulvaney

Leaving my factory unlocked 3GS on 3.0.1 until someone confirms that this update doesn't bork the handset.

On another note a slight blemish under my screen means my iphone would have to go back to Oz from where it came to get replaced......worldwide support? Not with the iphone!

13. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Will this one destroy all of my contacts like the last one did?

How long til Android V2 is released?

14. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

Works fine.

The usual Apple update. Works fine, phone is performing nicely.

@Jim Coleman

Ok, you claim to have a Win mobile phone that is super stable next to your wife's crashy "ew" Apple device? Ok, now can you tell us the one about Jack and the beanstalk? Maybe the one about Snow White? I know! Tell us the one about how up to date Mobile 6. is and how your 2001 IE6 mobile browser is state of the art.

Thats the best fairy tale of all!

15. Lozzyho
    FAIL

So...

... they control the hardware, the firmware, the OS software and (very tightly) the Application software, and they STILL release firmware that bricks the phone?!

Microsoft, for ALL their flaws (and they do have many), rarely control anything more than the OS software.

But when you control all 4 of the above, it's UNFORGIVEABLE to release such major bugs, especially when your business ethos is to take the piss out of the competition and have advertising based around your supposed superiority and lines like "it just works".

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Not fixed all the bugs...

The update hasn't fixed the bug whereby the "Cut/Copy/Paste" buttons don't appear in text-entry dialog boxes in MobileSafari (introduced in 3.1). Not that they said they did, mind you.

C'mon Steve - get shouting at your minions....

17. Player_16
    Thumb Up

So far, so good; no Jim Coleman episode.

Mind you, I haven't updated to 3.1.2 yet. I do have to plug in the charger about every 2-3 days... that might be a bit much I guess.

18. OrsonX
    FAIL

Smart Playlists

...still don't sync

19. sounds
    Terminator

well it fixes something ...

well 3.1 broke on my 32GB iPhone 3G (both working on 3.0.1 which I had to downgrade to)

1) bluetooth - trying to connect to existing paired devices timed out, attempting to pair with new ones never brought up the dialog box to enter the code

2) keylock - I had it set to lock the keypad after 1 minute. After updating to 3.1 it wanted me to enter the old PIN - and wouldn't accept what I knew was the right one. As a result it wouldn't activate the keypad lock ...

both of these features appear to now be fixed in 3.1.2.

Now it's just a case of finding what else has now been broken instead! lol

20. James O'Brien
    Jobs Horns

@Mac Phreak

Why doesnt that comment surprise me coming from you?

I have a WinMo Tilt and HAD an iPhone 3G the only gripe I have with it is crap preformance when told to do something. Other then that I have never had to reboot it (unlike the iPhone) or restore it (unlike the iPhone).

21. Law
    Paris Hilton

@ Lozzyho

I don't think it's ever bricked a phone - coma mode and bricking are two complete seperate things.

From what I've heard, it's a very small percentage of people suffering the battery drain and coma issues - although I'm not sure why I'm half-defending them, I was one of the people caught with the coma mode, and my battery drains alot more than it did before, to the point where it needs recharging every night or it's dead by morning, even if the phone is unused... pre-3.* it would happily stay alive for 2-3 days, but the battery drain was not such an issue with me as the coma mode though. I've had so many issues since 3.*, each update fixing old problems and introducing new ones... one was unability to "slide to answer" or "slide to unlock" half the time, there was the silent-mode-even-thought-it's-not, the no notification for sms problem... then I had issues where it completely raped my 3g profile and put it on payg settings, even though it's a contract phone... then the latest random coma mode, battery drain, and occasionally visual voicemail claims it's not working... I'm not sure if that's the phone being buggy, or the actual visual voicemail servers.

Hope the new update will fix the problems people are having, but I've had it with worrying about every new update introducing new random bugs, so I'm jumping ship, might look at them again in a few years when they take customer complaints about the updates more seriously... I've not had a reply from their support team for many queries - and they ignore all the forums, and I hate being ignored... shame though, loved my iPhone! :(

22. Franklin
    Thumb Up

Whenever I read reports like this...

...or, more often, comments on reports like this, I always wonder how I end up so lucky.

I must lead some kind of charmed life. I upgrade my iPhone, no problems. I install OS updates for Windows and Mac machines, and while the Internet is filled with tales of woe and disaster, no problems. I dunno why that is; maybe I'm just special.

Or maybe I don't load my systems up with all kinds of crapware from all and sundry. That might have something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm off to install the new iPhone update. Maybe I should play the video lotto while I'm at it; electronic devices seem to like me.

23. magnetik
    Thumb Down

@ Lozzyho

"... they control the hardware, the firmware, the OS software and (very tightly) the Application software, and they STILL release firmware that bricks the phone?!"

This is a software update, not firmware update, and claiming the previous update "bricked" the phone is more than a slight exaggeration. If your phone didn't wake from sleep you could just hold the power button to start it up again.

24. bygjohn
    Thumb Up

Updated OK here

So far not spotted anything broken, though it hasn't fixed the ghost photo count in the camera roll thing that appeared with 3.1. But as that was all I noticed was wrong with the last update so maybe I'm just lucky! Battery life has been a little worse since 3.1 but not dramatically so, and I've only had lockups/crashes about 3 times since 3.1 so it didn't seem to be much worse than 3.0, and waaay better than my previous smartphones.

25. A 31
    Stop

...still don't sync

"...still don't sync"

you mean the iphone does not sync at all ?

you mean millions of ppl can't sync with itunes with their iphone ?

are you sure ?

I am very lucky then, mine does :)

to be faire I also wish they could start again from pre v3.0 , 2.2.1 has been the most stable OS version, now my iphone is slloooooow (I don't have a 3GS, just 3G)

26. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Blackberry ..

It just works and it has battery life.

27. tellytart

Data Usage

I wonder if this update fixes the bug that O2 admitted to me exists: I was in the USA with data roaming turned off, yet the iPhone still managed to clock up some data roaming charges on my behalf!

28. edwardecl
    Linux

Not that broken

I think people like to over play the issues a bit unless there is a specific problem. Perhaps people should try backing up their contacts and stuff and try restoring the software to factory defaults before complaining too much.

I have had an iPhone 3G (jailbroken of course) since December with no real issues. It's currently updated to 3.01, 3.1 wasn't hacked last time a looked. I did update it to 3.1 a few days before I gave the phone back to apple and it seemed OK to me...

Now the one problem that I did have was the WIFI being physically broken after 6 months of use. And I didn't even use WIFI all that much. I am actually quite worried it will do it again out of warranty, if it does they will still be taking it back or it will be small claims court for them.

If it annoys people that much just take the damn phone back to apple they will either fix it or give you a new one... if it's in warranty that is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like