back to article Sun adds Oracle Linux to ops tools

Sun Microsystems’ xVM server virtualization hypervisor has not yet seen the light of day as a commercial product, but the company is continuing to enhance the management tool. Now, the latest version of Ops Center has arrived featuring enhancements for running Solaris-based virtualization. Perhaps more significantly, given the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Halko
    Happy

xVM Server, Ops Center

Timothy Prickett Morgan writes, "Sun Microsystems’ xVM server virtualization hypervisor has not yet seen the light of day as a commercial product, but the company is continuing to enhance the management tool."

This statement is not quite accurate...

Sun xVM Server has been rolled into OpenSolaris and commercial support is available for xVM Server with the OpenSolaris paid subscription. By the same reasoning, one might believe that LDoms also "has not yet seen the light of day as a commercial product" - but yet the LDom virtual firmware is shipped on most SPARC products sold by Sun.

Also, Ops Center pre-dated the xVM Server hypervisor - which means that Ops Center is not the xVM Server "management tool", as the sentence infers. Ops Center is more of a cross platform life cycle management tool which has been receiving virtualization updates - it was not built specifically by Sun for xVM Server.

I think some confusion may have come up when the Sun's marketing team rolled the Intel/AMD bare metal hypervisor xVM Server, Virtual Box, Ops Center, LDom's, and Solaris Containers into the same slide-ware as Ops Center.

Just because a management application, like Ops Center, manages something does not mean that the managed item is going to be commercially marketed by Sun (i.e. Oracle Enterprise Linux and Microsoft Windows are not sold by Sun.) If Ops Center does not manage something, like xVM Server, does not mean that product xVM Server was in danger of being killed.

Just because Sun is not going to productize something with a separate license fee (i.e. LDom's, xVM Server) does not mean that a management tool in the same marketing slide ware is going to be killed.

I am not sure what the opening sentence is supposed to communicate, but it was not effective.The article was a good read, but the opening was just wrong on so many levels...

2. David Halko
    Dead Vulture

Sun xVM Server and Solaris 10 U8 Documentation

Timothy Prickett Morgan writes, "Sun Microsystems’ xVM server virtualization hypervisor has not yet seen the light of day as a commercial product..."

You might want to read the "Solaris 10 10/09 What's New" document - officially, xVM Server appears to be "referred to as hardware-assisted virtual machines (HVMs)."

http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/821-0382/821-0382.pdf

"When using the Sun xVM hypervisor in a Solaris OS, fully virtualized guest domains are

referred to as hardware-assisted virtual machines (HVMs)."

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ops Center 2.5 still ot available

Despite the announcements at the start of the month. Customers are not able to get their mitts on Ops Center 2.5. I was told October 11th was GA but its still not available.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like