back to article Gay man offered lesbian neighbours slug pellet curry

A gay man has admitted he gave his lesbian neighbours curry laced with slug pellets after he was accused of kidnapping their three-legged cat. According to the Daily Mail, Gary Stewart, 37, and Beverley Sales and Marie Walton had enjoyed cordial relations when they first became neighbours in Denton, Manchester. Over a period …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    WTF?

Hmm

Not quite sure what the purpose of stating their sexual preferences is in this story, especially as it has nothing to do with the crimes committed. Is it newsworthy because they are gay?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statiscally anomalous

First I read that one in 4 people are apparently Muslim on the BBC News site, now I find out that homosexualists of both genders are populace enough to live next door to each other.

All I can conclude is that the gay man in question didn't have a partner because statistically he'd have to be a Muslim and some sort of honour killing would be obligated? Even that's been done (still waiting for the honour killing part) on Eastenders though.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

wasn't this on uk.legal?

There was a long running thread (Neighbour Trying To Harm My Cats) on uk.legal that sounds very similar to this a week or two ago. You can look up the details if you like - as with most threads it mutated into a flamewar about cats pretty quickly.

Is this a case of the Daily Wail imitating netnews, or life imitating art(icles)?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is it with the Daily Fail?

You guys seem to refer to them more and more recently.

5. Richard 81
    Thumb Down

@Ian

Call me cynical, but shouldn't the title of the article be;

"Man offered neighbours slug pellet curry

After allegedly kidnapping their three-legged cat"

Yes, yes, I know why you did it. It's just annoying.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Gay/Lesbian?

Why is the gay and lesbian description, notably in the title, necessary? It had no bearing on the story as far as I can tell. Looks more like the header the Daily Mail would have used...

I wonder how the curry tasted? Perhaps the chap was just into exotic flavours :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

@Ian Ferguson

I'm with you on that. It would sound pretty stupid if it said, "Light-haired man offered brunette neighbors slug-pellet curry" - and that's basically what the headline is. I'd expect a bit better from el Reg.

8. PerfectBlue

Agreement

I'm afraid that I have to agree with the above. This is a serious case of over labelling. Unless one or the other party is being accused of being homophobe.

Imaging the fun we could have if we expanded upon this concept. We could have a gay Barry Manilo w fan attempting to poison his strictly come dancing watching lesbians who prefer Coke to Pepsi.

9. Robert Ramsay
    Thumb Down

This wasn't funny enough to be in Bootnotes.

But I guess not every story can be as good as 'welsh drunks beaten up by cage fighters disguised as transvestites.'

10. Alex Walsh

@Richard 81

You're being discriminatory to 3 legged cats there though. Lets not forget the average number of legs a cat has is considerably less than 4...

11. Steve Mason
    Thumb Down

Daily Fail

Just ignore it, hopefully it'll go away.

And Reg, I have to agree - the more recent spate of references to the Fail is worrying.

12. eJ2095

Was the cat called...

Tripod?

13. Pavlovs well trained dog
    Thumb Down

bit surprised

any particular reason - other then, of course, as troll bait - why this story even references the respective sexualities?

Bad Reg..

14. kain preacher

What

No mention of race. I guess the must of been white so it didn't mater . I'm surprised they didn't mention region to. Race, region and sexual orientation dose no need to b mentioned in this story . Now it would be different if lets say he did it because they were lesbian. But hey it's the daily fail. You guys equivalent of fox news .

15. Mark McC
    Boffin

What, no immigrants?

If only there'd be an immigrant angle to spin on this, the Daily Mail would have reached its own pinnacle of perfection and imploded, forming a singularity of middle-class outrage.

16. Dan Caugherty
    FAIL

Missing details

No word on whether or not the cat was gay. (It's about as relevant as all of the other gender-preference details in this story.)

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Disappointed

I am a little disappointed in the Reg for running this article as it does belong in the Daily Mail. If the sexual orientations are excluded from the story then the headline would have been "Man offered neighbours poisoned curry" - in which case the Reg would have passed it by.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ian et al

Bump

19. twiggystardust
    FAIL

As a (real-life) lezza

I fail to see what sexual orientation has to do with any of this.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Where's the Bootnotes Angle?

Oh wait lesbians, now I get it.

21. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Anyone there?

Wot no shed loads of comments?

22. J 3
    FAIL

WTF^2

"mutated into a flamewar about cats pretty quickly"

What the hell would that look like, I don't want to know. How can people have a flamewar about cats?

Anyway, one more vote for "bad Reg" being homophobic and all that.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Angle??

Woss this got to do with El Reg? Not only no IT angle, not even any technology. Or Paris etc.

24. Evil_Medic
    Happy

@ eJ2095

NIce one, OT, I know but I actually have a 3-legged cat named Tripod. He's on my lap right now.

25. Paul 4
    FAIL

Fail

See above posters.

26. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

In case my post got lost in the male strike.

If you were hoping to get extra mileage out of re-publishing the bigoted Daily Mail story on a so-called respectable IT site and perpetuate the stereotype of geeks as darkened bedroom tossers with no real experiences, either outside their bedroom, with people of either sex or the wider world in general you have gone that extra 100 miles.

I am a gay man and have been working in IT since university. For the sniggerers in your editorial department I have been gay since year 0. Some IT colleagues are more blind to real life than even the most rabid Daily Mail reader.

I read in many IT slanted publications of the dearth of women in IT. I don't blame them. If it's not poofs or lezzers it's women many of my colleagues enjoy taking the piss out of.

Maybe it's an inadequacy 'thing'. God knows what else It can be. The mind boggles. Some other threads on here have brought out the worst in humanity too. Well done.

Thanks a bunch.

27. Criminny Rickets
    Thumb Down

Journalistic Integrity

As their sexual orientattion had nothing to do with the story, the Reg, failed in their journalistic integrity in even mentioning it.

28. Corrine

Relevence

Its relevant that the women were lesbians because this would be considered from a hate crime angle normally, its relevant that the man was gay because it reduces the chance that it was a hate crime.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oversensitive types

"Man offers neighbours slug bait curry". ... Oooh we're now saying it was a **man**. Better fix that!

"Person offers neighbours slug bait curry." ... but curry hints at some ethnic discrimination.

"Person offers neighbours slug bait food". .... should e feel sorry for the slugs now?

C'mon folks we use descriptive terms like curry, man, 3-legged and lesbian because they paint a picture. Without those there isn't much worth reading anywhere.

30. Flakey

Amber is.......

a boring name for a 3 legged cat...it should have been named tripod

31. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Many Geeks a Sniggering

I know it's in Bootnotes but ...

If there's any mileage in re-printing Daily Mail bigotry in an IT publication to reinforce the image of geeks as sniggering darkened bedroom wankers with little perspective on life outside their bedroom, let alone their house, society and the wider world you've gone that extra mile.

Thanks.

32. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Missing details

"No word on whether or not the cat was gay."

Do cats care?

33. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Oh No! El Reg has broken my Label Printer....

cos they been over doing the Labeling bit recently....

care to pay us for the Support techs call out charge????

34. Cameron Colley

OK, when did the Fail buy El Reg?

If they were busty, young, half-naked lesbians with a picture it might have a place in bootnotes -- but otherwise this is just regurgitated shit.

Now, if the guy used KDE and the girls Gnome...

35. Ian Oliver

But wait

Does anyone know the sexuality of the cat?

Just asking.

36. Liam Johnson
    Boffin

Curious

Odd story - the guy obviously lost it big time to try and poison the women, but you have to wonder what he had been through if all the neighbors knew he had kidnapped their cat. How did they know? Did they see him? Or could the cat simply have wandered off on it's own and he gets smeared in the rumor mill.

Not condoning what he did, just curios about the other side of the story.

For your entertainment, the Sherlock Holmes investigation icon.

37. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Many Geeks a Sniggering

If you were hoping to get extra mileage out of re-publishing the bigoted Daily Mail story on a so-called respectable IT site and perpetuate the stereotype of geeks as darkened bedroom tossers with no real experiences, either outside their bedroom, with people of either sex or the wider world in general you have gone that extra 100 miles.

I am a gay man and have been working in IT since university. For the sniggerers in your editorial department it was rather earlier that I knew I was gay. Some IT colleagues are more blind to real life than even the most rabid Daily Mail reader.

I read in many IT slanted publications of the dearth of women in IT. I don't blame them. If it's not poofs or lezzers it's women many of my colleagues enjoy taking the piss out of.

Maybe it's an inadequacy 'thing'. Maybe many are closeted. God knows what else It can be. The mind boggles. I thought IT was an industry where free minds congregate. Some other threads on here have brought out the worst in humanity too. Well done.

Thanks a bunch.

38. Andy D 1
    Thumb Down

Yawn.

Like what they said. Must try harder.

39. Jemma
    Paris Hilton

That'll be a slow news day then...

@ Twiggy...

wooo... that makes two of us ... now I just gotta go ask my dad for the Metaldehyde... theres a cool new swiggable version apparently.. (he's in that business)

Now - wheres that nice graham norton and kitty fantastico for the encore...

Seriously though - have any of you straights ever been round the gay scene - my experience its like the british civil war re-enactment society with spandex (and the girls arent wearing the spandex - at least - not generally). No love lost there. The lesbians hate the gays hate the trans and they all hate the bi-barian newbie hordes... ad nauseous

I fail to see what all the fuss is about really... I mean, if he'd have given them Gramoxone flavour body paint...

Although.. a thought beckons... anyone got paris's and nicole's cell numbers.... we could do a re-enactment, im sure I have some cyanide somewhere.. and I doubt you could get done for cruelty by the RSPCA for liberating a straight cat from the evil gay clutches..

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They must have been some seriously gullible lesbians...

"Hi! Errr ... sorry about the hate campaign and the cat thing. I've realised that I was wrong, and to show you there's no hard feelings, I've made you this delicious curry that you must eat."

"That's very thoughtful. We're so glad. Won't you join us?"

"No ... errr ... I've got my ... err .... evening class. But you should definitely eat the whole curry. Bye!"

41. Anonymous John

Playmobil reconstruction please.

<Googles>

Yes, there are a couple of Playmobil cats

42. Simon Wilson
    FAIL

What, no "only gay in the village" jokes?

Wow.

43. David Taylor 1
    Thumb Down

And their sexuality is relavant because...?

If it was a black man poisoning his white neighbours would you have the same style of headline?

I think not...

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title?

I agree that the title wasn't really necessary but I can think of one better (sorry in advance):

"Lesbians lost pussy and gay man attempts poising with slug pellet mix"

45. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    IT Angle

DELETE

Let's just forget this article (repost to FARK if you must) and go read Simon's BOFH for this week - that's much more instructive and has an IT angle.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Easily Offended

This story has everything apart from race from an equal opportunities point of view. Lesbians, gay man and a disabled cat. How many of the easily offended would have commented if the villain had been a straight white man. Funny story El Reg, nice one.

47. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No, really? IT angle...even for bootnotes, this sucks

You need be ashamed of yourself for such a story. Even for bootnotes we have a right to expect better. I'm off my curry now.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Only gay in the village?

Hope Little Britain pick this up....

49. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Alex Walsh

Cite! I suspect median and mode averages are four legs per cat.

Oi scamps, get on MSN. I need to talk to you about Stu [-]

50. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

<Title>

A few questions that needs answering:

Was the Cat hurt ?

Was the Curry hot or cold at delivery ?

Was the Lesbians hot ?

Was the gay guy hot ?

Was the curry delivery bloke asian ?

Was there any 8 legged pigs involved in the curry making ?

51. Alex Walsh

@ AC Friday 9th October 2009 05:30 GMT

By citing the median and mode, I suspect you realise that the mean shows less than 4 legs per cat :)

IMHO these comments don't do much for the impression of IT staff- most of you come across as humour vacuums who probably voted Tony Blair in and are responsible for/in favour of the vast majority of the priggish laws and rule by vocal minority that we suffer under today.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Was the Cat's missing leg in the curry?

We need to know!

53. Mark123
    Stop

@most of you

If you are all so concerned about why Reg had the gay and lesbian reference why the fuck did you read the story???

The title was there and you clicked on it, so shame on all you pricks that decided to take a moral high ground just because you expected something more from the meat of the story.

The detail is there to give a complete picture and pull readers in...like yourselves that clicked on it. If you didnt like the No IT angle, what the fuck are you doing in bootnotes in the first place fucktards?

And as for Shirkingfromhome...If you think the reg is run by a bunch of "sniggerers" then fuck off and go read Attitude instead bitch! And just because you feel opressed or bullied at work doesnt mean that your colleages are inadequate, so dont play that line, maybe they just like taking the piss. Take it up with HR or shut the fuck up, coz I dont work with you so dont care about your problems.

This world is going PC mad and you slags are not helping by moaning on about the use of additional detail. I say more detail!

If you all think you can work in the media and create better stories day in and day out which are designed to pull readers in as well as give the facts as they are then go get a fucking job in the media, otherwise shut the fuck up!

I dont work in media but I appreciate that trying to entertain and inform a bunch of moaning whiny slags every day must be hard, so to Reg I say thanks and keep up the good work...bitches!

This topic is closed for new posts.