back to article Feds net 100 phishers in biggest cybercrime case ever

US and Egyptian authorities have charged 100 people with conducting a phishing operation that siphoned at least $1.5m from thousands of accounts belonging to Bank of America and Well Fargo customers. Fifty-three defendants from California, Nevada and North Carolina were named in a federal indictment unsealed Wednesday. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cthonus
    Stop

Well Well Well

Wells Fargo takes the plural like Courts Martial.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A suitable punishment

A very public trial, and maximum sentence for each and everyone of them. Actually I'd prefer it if they where either gibbetted or strung up from Lamp posts. Just as a warning to others.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Pyramid scheme?

sorry...

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'm still waiting for

a US or any other authority with balls to charge as many bankers as possible with conducting an operation that siphoned $ trillions from the wealth of millions. Fat fucking chance.

5. CD001

Timeframe?

I mean if 100 people netted a mere $1.5m over a year then they'd probably have been better of with legit jobs? If you're gonna do the time you may as well make sure that the crime is worth it in the first place.

6. Skymonrie
    Flame

$1.5 million?

How much did the operation itself which spanned over 2 years actually cost?

How much IS it going to cost to keep 100 people in jail for 20 years?

How about educating the dumb people who fall for phishing scams in the first place?

What level of lunacy have we reached when 2 years is spent to recover $1.5 million, the banks lose more in a click of the fingers and get away with it, no questions ask; even further we throw MORE money at them...-.-'

7. ian 22
    Flame

Phish Phry!

The name shows a surprising level of Fed sophistication. Those convicted will do "hard time"- there is no parole for Federal convicts.

Throw another phisher on the barbie!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like