back to article Blogger claims Twitter-served court order a success

A blogger who convinced the High Court to allow a court order to be communicated by Twitter has said that the move was a success. Donal Blaney claims that the rogue tweeter has agreed to stop impersonating him. Blaney, a right wing blogger, took action last week against an unknown individual who had been posting on the Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavCrav

£10?

His compensation for being impersonated? I really hope that the 'impersonator' is not resident in the UK, and tells him to go fuck himself.

2. Jimmy Floyd
    Boffin

Damages?!

Given that this isn't America, I was under the impression that damages had to be connected to some form of ... damage. Apart from legal costs, which are something else entirely, how has there been a genuine loss?

3. Jason Croghan
    Joke

Sad...

Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad.

I've been around a while now and this is the sadest thing I've ever seen. I don't believe for one second that someone is going to pay a fine for 'impersonating' a 'monikor' on twitter. What is the world coming to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Negative Damages?

I'm sure the vast publicity in this case has actually increased the traffic to barneys blamey (or whatever its called) I suspect that reasonable damages could feasibly be zero or less!

I for one had not heard of either of these tweeple and wish that had remaind the case.

5. Ian Ferguson
    Coffee/keyboard

Meheheh

Seeing what an easily-ridiculed tosser Blaney is, I do hope the impersonater is just toying with him and will continue to take the piss. If not, I'm sure there'll be plenty of other willing mickey-takers.

Did I mention that Blaney is a right-wing nutcase tosser?

6. Annihilator
    Thumb Up

@DavCrav

Waiting for the tweet of "We refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram"

7. Simon B
    Thumb Up

Getting with the times at last :)

Nice 1 ! Well I'm all for it, nice to see some people getting with the times.

8. Bill P. Godfrey
    Alert

I have a twitter account...

but I rarely use it. Am I now obliged to check regularly for any thing @-ed me?

All my email goes through an imperfect junk-mail filter before I get to see it. Am I now obliged to switch it off? If I'm not obliged, couldn't I just say that the message was probably eaten by the filter before I got to see it?

Do I now have to keep checking this comment page in case anyone wants to serve me legal papers in the form of a comment?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

4chan food

Looks like he's setting himself up to be 4channed. Break out the popcorn...

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Barneysbarmy

Tosser indeed.

11. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

courts

have official twitter accounts now?

@judgedownwiththekids maybe?

The real news story is that the court accepted a message sent via Twitter (I refuse to call them Tweets), the sad part is the damages being sought. Another reason to not have one of those stupid things.

12. Number6

Proof of service?

So how do you prove that the legal stuff was received by the target? I suspect it was all a big con-trick and had the impersonator wanted, he could most likely have ignored it because of the lack of proof of delivery.

Anyone who wants to serve legal notices on me, please post them to my Myspace account.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like