back to article MyConservatives website collapses at launch

A website launched today by the UK’s Conservative Party is titsup, at time of writing. The MyConservatives.com site, which claims to be “the most ambitious party political campaigning network of its kind outside of the US” is currently redirecting to the Tories’ main website while the party tries to fix the problem. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian
    Troll

"facebook for tories"

Is facebook not allowing tories then? If not, why reinvent the wheel? 'Coz it's better if it's made in the UK at higher cost with less features and quality (see also: military hardware)?

2. Sergie Kaponitovicz
    Thumb Up

Great 404 Error page.

Love it!

3. Lee Jackson 1
    Megaphone

Vote Labour

Nuff said.

4. jackharrer
    Thumb Down

dammit

Another site that requires www before the address. Why all those messed up sites are located in UK? Is it so hard to set up DNS properly?

5. Andy ORourke
    Joke

Worst. Photoshop. EVER

That photo, seriously, is that not eric pickles head (very badly) photoshopped onto Giant Haystacks body?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to say....

... that that's one of the best 404 pages I've seen in quite some time. It's nice to see that there can still be a little bit of humour in politics.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

When a politician calls you "chum"...

... he's probably thinking of the chopped-up little fish that they scatter in the water as bait to attract the big sharks ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I think they should use this template...

www.facec***.com

fill in the blanks. nsfw if rude words aren't allowed.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Lee Jackson 1

No.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@jackharrer

You do realise that www.example.com and example.com need not be the same site, and in fact the hierarchal nature of DNS, and the fact that the Web is NOT the Internet means that semantically this is the case unless defined otherwise.

To put it another way, yet another person who cannot type in the URL for the site they want correctly (hint: if you want the web-site on a domain, type the bloody WWW).

11. John70

@Lee Jackson 1

Labour should kicked out of Parliment altogether after the complete mess they have made.

Like the mess they made before pre-1979 but people forgot and voted them in again in 1997.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cloud services would have ... oh wait

Hosting in a cloud is sold on the basis of expanding to cope with demand, yet there are still no auto-provisioning cloud services that cope with the slash dot effect.

So, there is not much point in Tory websites, or cloud computing... carpet baggers the lot of them!!!

(for fairness, i don't think there is much point in labour or any other kind of mainstream political website.... but they will all have one no doubt)

13. Lee Jackson 1
    Megaphone

@ Anonymous Coward

Why anonymous? Ashamed of the Conservatives, or your party of choice!? Loud and proud labour here :). Good to live in a democracy!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To WWW or not to WWW

"if you want the web-site on a domain, type the bloody WWW"

The fact that we are typing the address in a WWWweb browser should be a fair indication as to WWWwhich service we WWWwant to connect to!

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

at

Lee Jackson... what country do you live in?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's no such thing as a good political party

@John70 - Like the Tories didn't also make a mess of things!

Or have you forgotten the embarrassment of how amateurishly the railways were privatised, the fact that it was the Tories who got us into the EEC in the first place, how they privatised all the utilities so that they were then sold off at vast profit to foreign companies and now the service levels are non-existent, how they de-regulated financial services so that house prices are so high now that you need two salaries just to afford them, how Maggie centralised everything that was previously run by the county councils - etc etc.

People are very selective in their memories and this is the basis of belief in any political party. There's no such thing as a good politician and anyone who things so is naive.

17. Mike Shepherd
    Stop

Lean and mean

Pickles - just the sort of hip-hop, athletic icon to draw in younger voters.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

@AC and @jeremy3

@AC: Oct 2nd 14:41 whilst you're technically correct about DNS, try educating users to type "www" simply because they get a DNS fail. Marketing a site without the "www" and not setting up a DNS entry for the domain sans "www" is a novice mistake irrespective of the inner workings of the DNS scheme.

@jeremy3: Yes there are; Amazon Elastic Load Balancing - been live in the US for ages and went live on the EU region earlier this week

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 17.06 - that is not auto provisioning.

You still have to have the instances to start with.

You or I could not set up a little website on a cloud instance (like a virtual dedicated box) and say to the provider "expand server and bandwidth to cope with the demand since it will be on tv tonight, and at that point the traffic will be 10x for about 2 hours then back to normal... "

I am sure it will come, but its not there yet.

20. Andy Miller
    FAIL

If I believed...

A fair criticism of this UK government, and their civil service, is that they are utterly incapable of organising and running any IT system.

A good selling point for a political party hoping for election would be that they can do this new-fangled computer stuff.

On this evidence, the Tory party can't. Which is pretty much what we all expected.

Problem is, neither can any other party. (Good thing in the case of the BNP. Can you imagine it? "That Mr Griffin may have be a right-wing racist thug, but at least he made the websites work on time!")

We need MPs and civil servants who can speak C# and Java, not Greek and Latin.

(Sits back and waits for the replies that say "No!!!!!! SMALLTALK / PYTHON / COBAL etc)...

21. Martin Juggs

Don't forget the Tory's record on democracy...

"Maggie centralised everything that was previously run by the county councils - etc etc."

Remember the Met Boro Councils? GLC, etc? The Tories didn't like the idea that all those millions of people in those inner cities ('oh, we must do something about the inner cities,' she once said) didn't want to vote Tory.

No problem, we will just take the franchise away from them. So they abolished the councils, effectively removing a layer of democracy they didn't like, and replaced all those services with overarching QUANGOs.

Think Labour are bad? Just remember, the Tories are worse.

Now @Lee Jackson 1 #: YES!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

@jeremy3 - check your facts

Elastic Load Balancing is precisely there to initiate auto-provisioning. You set caps on the number of instances you want to launch, reaction times for when to launch them, and when to kill them, dependent upon a number of factors such as CPU usage and traffic.

23. Nanki Poo
    Boffin

Nice to see . . .

The Tories haven't learnt anything about IT procurement in 12 years in the wilderness (remember, they were the original inventors of the EDS love-in).

And to those getting party political, just remember that both your parties stink, so stop foisting them on us!!!!

Independent is the way next time, unless you want to maintain the status quo.

nK

24. bex

For many a year (but fixed now) Epson.co.uk was not linked to www.epson.co.uk t

25. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No!!!!!! SMALLTALK / PYTHON / COBAL

coat....I know, i know

26. b166er

jackharrer

type myconservatives into the address bar (alt-d) and then ctrl+enter. There, not so difficult was it?

27. dunncha
    Megaphone

'Vote Labour' are you fuckin' mad

Apart from all the obvious epic fails of NuLabour like:

'Peace in our time', War in Iraq

Free Education for all, Student Loans and Tuition Fee's

NHS free at point of service' Rip off Car Parks and Buying hospitals on the very expensive credit

Surveillance State: Big Brother

Curtailment of our Society's Freedom' The Police State.

Anyone that supports Labour must be a *ucking banker and deserves to lose their jobs so they know how the rest of us feel. I don't fancy the Tories much either.

Time for a change: Lib Dem's for me.

28. TeeCee Gold badge
    Grenade

@Martin Juggs.

Actually, what was worse here was NuLab's stitchup to put 'em back.

The vote to put in place the GLA with no "No" campaign, presented as a fait accompli and with all the parties having already selected their mayoral candidates barely squeaked over 50%.

I still reckon to this day that if one London paper had bothered to campaign against it we'd have ended up ticking along quite nicely without the army of overpaid scrotes in crash-helmet-upon-thames.

Yes I did vote "No" to this one, although I was bloody surprised to find that they'd included a box for it on the ballot. It must have been an oversight.

This topic is closed for new posts.