back to article Swedish parents win right to name sprog 'Q'

The parents of a Jämtland boy have emerged triumphant from the Swedish Supreme Administrative Court, aka Regeringsrätten, and may henceforth legally refer to the sprog as "Q". The powers that be didn't much like the couple's choice of name, and both the county administrative court (Länsrätten) administrative court of appeal ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Liam Johnson

Q?

What a bunch of 2-ats.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I be the first...

...person to post a comment about AC, as AC.

3. eJ2095

q?

Wasnt he a dude from Startek TNG?

4. seanj
    Joke

Title

Fucking trekkies.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

And the burning question is,...

is he named after the Star Trek Continuim or the Bond Gadget-meister?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should the law restrict what names are allowed?

Perhaps it should at least ban certain dangerous characters:

http://xkcd.com/327/

7. ThaMossop
    Thumb Up

Q Continuum

Maybe they hope he will gain the powers of the Q?

8. Paul 25

Simple answer for these cases...

If you want to name your kid something stupid you can, but they get immunity from prosecution if they kill you in later life due to mental instability bought on by a life of mockery.

Simplez

9. JohnT

Very old joke

Reminds me when my father wanted to change his middle name to 'Q', so when asked what the 'Q' was for he could reply "Oranges". Told you it was a VERY old joke!

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Could be fun if he travels to France...

Q is pronounced 'CUL' there.....(look it up)

11. Greg J Preece

Wait a sec!

They named their kid "Q" and it's not NOTHING to do with Star Trek?

12. Hermes Conran
    Unhappy

Poor kid,

going through his whole life called Rehnberg!

13. FreeTard

I work with a Jean-Luc Picard

Apparently no-one knows TNG in France, as it was never popular. Only the original Star Trek was shown.

14. The Original Ash
    Thumb Up

Really?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/01/**baby_q**/

That's just wrong...

15. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Coat

@AC

Ah yes, good old Bobby Tables

16. dunncha
    Joke

I like it

'Q'

Better than some of the names the clowns that comment on here give to themselves!

17. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Q?

Well, he wont have a problem standing in line

18. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Troll

Re: the burning question

"is he named after the Star Trek Continuim or the Bond Gadget-meister?"

Surely the former is named after the latter.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wage war against the tyranny of databases..

Makes me wonder, how long before western society as we know it would collapse if there were just a few kids named ' or @ or maybe ".

How do I persuade the missus that '@" is a great name for our second sprog, due soon?

To be pronounced "little bastard", of course...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

H from steps.....

There was no issue there was there!

Has anyone told the vontrap family that two of the most famous media franchises to grace our silver screens have characters called Q in them? Hardly unique, a really unique name would be something like;

Lardy McCrevice McTimmins Smithlethwait

21. Tom 11

Infact scratch that...

his name clearly needs to be NULL or DROP_TABLE

22. Yorkshirepudding
    Alien

Q Who?

great news omnipotent beings from another continuum walk amongst us and they landed in sweeded lol

23. Liam Johnson

@AC Thursday 1st October 2009 10:45 GMT

What's so funny? I have a very good friend in Rome called Lardy McCrevice McTimmins Smithlethwait

24. Jimbo 6
    Grenade

He could have a worse name...

... like that policeman who's being charged with assaulting a protester at the London G20 - Sergeant Smellie. In fact, his first name being Delroy, he probably spent his whole school days being called 'Smellie Dellie'. No wonder HE has unresolved issues that he can only deal with through using a metal bar to beat women.

Hand grenade, cos El Reg doesn't have an 'Officer Dibble' icon yet.

25. peyton?

I like how

their child is unique... unlike all those other children out there lol. Didn't realize cloning had caught on.

Someone really should phone up Sweden and let them know that you can be called by something other than what is on your birth certificate. I've had coworkers that would not even tell people their real names before, let alone go by them.

26. John Hawkins
    Thumb Down

Poor little beggar

I'm OK with adults changing their names but gods preserve us from silly names given by parents.

27. Phill Sacre
    Coat

The law

"And if you read the law, you are allowed to be named after a letter."

But is it the letter of the law?

Coat, door, taxi, etc...

28. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

All together now...

Won't somebody please think of the children! ;)

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Thursday 1st October 2009 11:12 GMT

I know Lardy - what was his wife's name agin???

30. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A Boy Named Sue

Perhaps as in the Johnny Cash song, he'll grown up big and strong?

31. A J Stiles
    FAIL

What you're all missing

What everybody seems to be missing here is:

Just how the fuck is it any of the Government's business what you name your kids?

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Poor little beggar

I couldn't agree more, John, if that is your real name.

33. Graham Bartlett

Hardly worse than the rest of his names

His third name, Jackrapat. Did any other 80s arcade addicts immediately think it might be from "Welcome to the fantasy zone Jackrabbit"? Still, if it is, kudos to the parents for game quality.

(For people too young to know, it's a quote from Space Harrier. The arcade version of Space Harrier is still the best game ever made - nothing's ever come close.)

34. Martin Lyne

re: seanj - Fucking trekkies

Yes, that is how we make babies called Q :)

35. Frank Bitterlich
    Alert

No harm done?

"it has not been proven that the name Q may cause offence, or that it may lead to discomfort for the bearer of the name [...]"...

Wait until he tries to register an account with eBay, Amazon, iTMS, whatever... I can already see the message: "You need to enter your FULL first name"...

36. ratfox
    Thumb Down

Poor guy

Agree with Frank. In fact, he would better get used to using his second first name for any application on an electronic form... I bet he will get really tired of explaining the story to everybody who asks his name, too. To be filed under "stupid parents".

37. David H
    Alert

Single letter discrimination?

If it's acceptable to have names like Jay and Yui (an Asian name) that sound like single letters, then pedantically speaking there's nothing wrong with using 'Q' as a name. (Anyway, it's probably better than some of the 'chav' names that are currently doing the rounds.)

Although the boy concerned might have psychological trauma when he discovers that he doesn't have the powers of the Continuum, unless of course he actually has them...

38. Colin Millar
    Coat

Lucky

that he wasn't born in Q8

39. Richard 102

Not trekkie

Spike Milligan fan, perhaps?

(And FWIW, my parents gave me a first name that, coupled with my last name, was the same as a very famous actor at the time. However, as I was named after a friend of my father's who died in Vietnam, I enjoy making hippy-dips uncomfortable when they mock my name.)

40. seanj
    Coat

@Martin Lyne

Come on. You don't expect me to believe there are trekkies out there getting laid, do you?

Mines the one with the plastic phaser in the pocket - no I'm not just "happy to see you".

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to have a boss...

I used to have a boss who's last name was Willy as in Mr Willy

The irony was that his name fitted his attitude. The guy was a complete dick!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like