back to article Amazon Kindle to burn into to UK next week?

Amazon will finally launch its Kindle e-book viewer in Blighty next week, multiple sources have claimed. “The rumours I’ve heard are all saying next week,” one source told trade bible The Bookseller. E-book publishers have reportedly signed non-disclosure agreements with Amazon, another source said. He or she also claimed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kay Tie

Network operator?

"But one question remains: which UK network operator will Amazon sign to provide access to Whispernet, Kindle’s e-book download service."

Please be O2, please be O2, please be O2... (I'm an anarchist).

2. Don S.
    Unhappy

Fixed it for ya

Kindle is currently only available to buy in the United States of America.

The Kindle is not available from Amazon.ca. ironically, lots of Kindle accessories are available, but not the device itself.

One of the 2 reasons I am currently boycotting Amazon.ca. The other is the lack of MP3 downloads as per Amazon.com.

3. Imagus
    Alert

Who needs another piece of spyware...

There are plenty of other (and cheaper) e-readers that let you read books without Big Brother watching over your shoulder all the time.

4. EvilJason
    Megaphone

What i want is....

Give me a eBook reader that has a screen size the same size of a standard paper back book page, that comes with a SD card slot and can read more than DRM formats but text, html and pdfs as well.

One that does NOT have a keyboard attached or lots of buttons(up down left right select/cancel menu and an easy to use but not in the way next/previous page buttons, think a standard game controler button amounts), I do not want it to have a speaker or play mp3's nor do i want it to have wi-fi or bluetooth and connect to tne net.

A simple electric book is all i want why cant they do that?

If they can make what i suggested and price it for under £100 they will be come mainstream.

5. batfastad
    Jobs Horns

Netbook

Got a netbook... let me use that! Not some plastic thing that looks like it was smuggled out of Ukraine in the 70s.

But the software has to be good. Non-intrusive, fast loading and able to back-up your DRM encrypted files.

Specifically I'd like to be able to access all my old language text books so I can brush up on my italian... not some fancy audio speech program.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@EvilJason

Isn't the device you're describing just one of the Sony Readers?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Netbook

Your Netbook doesn't have an E-Ink display. That makes it considerably inferior for reading.

8. djack

@EvilJason

The Borders/Elonex eBook reader does almost all that - it's about £180

It fits quite nicely in my inside jacket pocket

9. EvilJason

Seen them

Thanks i have already seen them, when they get a it more popular and the screen gets bigger by an inch or two i will consider buying one.

I would like something a bit bigger than 6" and 5.1" Screens

But it will happen, remember when a 1 gig ipod cost £500 or around now you get the equivalent given away as freebies at conventions and stuff.

The ebook readers have been made and shown to work with till china rips them off and mass produces lots of them then we will get are cheap and easy ereaders heh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like