back to article UK.gov appeals for developers to mashup 1,000 datasets

UK.gov is calling on developers to consult the Cabinet Office on its prototype website that will open some government datasets to the public. It wants the developer community to get involved in shaping what apps, data sources and features the website should contain. “With over 1,000 existing data sets, from seven departments …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Tell us how to develop it...

...and we'll get EDS to do it for a few hundred million quid....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Datasets to include

- Live locations of every MP so we can follow them and ensure they're not taking bribes

- Communications records of every MP so we can make sure they don't come to any harm

- Internet records of every MP so we can make sure they're not paedophiles

- Healthcare records of every MP so we can make sure they're fit enough to make decisions

- DNA records of every MP

Sorry what's that MPs? That sounds awfully intrusive? WELL NOW YOU KNOW HOW THE REST OF THE FUCKING POPULATION FEELS YOU COCKENDS!

3. martin burns
    FAIL

Geolocation support?

Don't suppose any of them are the full geocoded postcode dataset? Didn't think so.

Without that, you're reducing the usefulness and potential application of the rest by several orders of magnitude.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why?

Don't developers work enough for free (out of hours debugging, coding and fire-fighting), not to mention the way contractors have been hounded like we're some kind of terrorists rather than slightly enterprising skilled workers....and while the government will happily shell out 10+ billion on some idiot IT managers and the like to make a big mess of the NHS project, us devs are asked to work for free.

I am sure they will find some saps foolish enough to devalue themselves out of a future career ...

(I'm a not bitter and twisted IT contractor - honest)

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Public data

1. Leave Govt storage device on train or other public convenience

2. Wait

3. ????

4. Profit

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Tell us how to develop it...

Given how everyone here seems to think that they can do better than anything the government comes up with, here's a golden opportunity to do it. Think of it as a chance to show how having loads of free developers can only make things better. Even when you're not paid and don't do any of the typing (of course, that's just the donkey work after you've done all the design and pretty diagrams,) you can bask in the - warm, fuzzy feeling, as I recall one of you described it. Government gets a perfect system and people get employment implementing it. Two things for you all to feel smug about. Win-win, eh?

7. John Sturdy

Simple

Make available all data that there's no specific (and good) reason not to provide. For a start, that's all non-personal non-security-sensitive data. And don't leave out any details just because you can't think why anyone would want them.

Do it in an open format (XML, CSV, HTML, plain text, etc).

Make everything bookmarkable so we can cross-reference it from citizen-generated data such as a massive sousveillance database :-).

My main (and largely rhetorical) question is why weren't they at this stage ten years ago?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re Datasets to include

seconded

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot No Dosh?

No one is going to be that stupid, just having to interface with the government is painful enough.

But, unfettered control and access to a budget of a few million, with the right to hire and fire any on the project, now that I will do for FREE.

- Joseph Stalin

10. ElNumbre

Ma Computamabob!

I wonder how much it has cost the taxpayer to open the database already? No doubt EDS has had to charge a certain amount of 'consultation' and 'development' time to this!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like