back to article RFID chip implants linked to cancer in animals

You might not want to chip granny afterall. Studies on animals discovered high incidents of tumours close to the sites of RFID chip implants. The findings from studies dating from the 1990s up to last year suggesting implanted chips "induced" malignant tumors in some lab mice and rats are by no means conclusive (even in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan

problem?

i spose if we are only tagging the most violent of criminals with them after their jail sentences or whatever then there really isn't much of a problem ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone has to ask...

...has anyone heard anything from Kevin Warwick recently?

Or have his cyborg chips turned him into the Elephant Man?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they're passive devices

someone beat me to the Captain "I'm not a lunatic" Cyborg comment :(

The chips in pets are passive (like most RFID) and there is no significant RF associated with them till the appropriate scanner is really quite close by (a few inches), which is maybe a once a year thing to make sure the chip still works. It is entirely plausible that there are biological effects from these things but they'll be down to the casings on the chip, not the effects of the RF.

Unless you're holding your cellphone to close to your moggy for too long, in which case it's entirely plausible, innit.

4. Andy Bright

FDA

The current FDA are probably the most unreliable group ever to be put in charge of approving drugs and treatments.

The pharmaceutical industry has pretty much got a free run at pushing out improperly tested products, and it would be no surprise if they approved other treatments or practices without any real evidence of safety or fit-for-use standards.

The most laughable part, and the absolute evidence that the FDA are open for business, is when they backup the big pharma with their denunciations of prescriptions filled in countries like Canada.

They are fully aware that these are the exact same drugs as sold in the USA, that pretty much none of them are actually produced in either country - more likely somewhere nice and safe, with top-quality consumer protections in place, like China.

Great country China. They have no pollution controls, no health and safety standards, no consumer protections, no workforce proctections, and the country itself is so toxic from waste dumped into rivers and landfill that even the toys they produce are poisonous. How comfortable do you feel with the cheap crap that you bought from Walmart now? Been feeling a bit odd lately, ever since you bought that $30 DVD player?

So the same agency that has approved hundreds of now known to be lethal medications and procedures tries to tell us that we can't trust foreign medicines bought at less than 1/2 the price, because they aren't the organisation in charge of safety standards. Remember these are the people that approved the imports of such wonderful items as poisonous toothpaste and now apparently cancerous RFID tags.

Hmm, wonder where those are made. I know, probably at one of the huge number of manufacturing plants we've seen pop up all over western Europe and the US to meet the growing demand for silicon products. Oh, that's right, they haven't been popping up here, we don't let 5 yr olds work in our chip fabs.

Quite frankly I'd trust just about any other country's drug safety standards over an agency bought and paid for by US corporates. Good job the dog food is safe, wouldn

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Revelation 16:2

Revelation 16:2

The first angel went and poured out his bowl on the land, and ugly and painful sores broke out on the people who had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image.

6. Richard Freeman

Revelation 16 to 2

"worshiped his image" ....

My dog is safe then she has not been worshipping any images (except her food bowl)

7. Dillon Pyron

My dogs

Bonnie had a chip for 8 years. Toby's 9 1/2 and was chipped when he was 12 weeks. Ruby's 3 1/2 and she was chipped at 8 weeks. The average lab rat lives to be about 3 and they are typically engineered to contract some specific and horrible disease.

If there were some high incidence of skin malignancies in chipped dogs, I'd certainly have heard about it. I personally know of about 1600 Corgi owners (Pems and Cardis) representing about 5500 dogs. Haven't heard of many cases.

You can see all the kids at http://www.pyron.org

8. pctechxp

why get chipped?

Unless you want to be like a saddo like Captain Cyborg?

Notice that these companies seem to have alarming sci-fi sounding names, life imitating art perhaps?

In other News, James Dyson reveals the world's first armed security guard that can also vac your house, powered by his patented neural network on a chip linked to Skynet for upgrades......

Be afraid, be very afraid....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

who cares if some proles get cancer. profits are what matter!

just make sure not to chip the celebrities who importantly do something "newsworthy" every time there is real news you want the plebs to ignore.,

This topic is closed for new posts.