back to article iPhone App Store tops 2,000,000,000 downloads

Apple's iTunes App Store has hit yet another milestone: two billion apps downloaded since the Store hung out its digital shingle on July 11, 2008. The news came in an Apple announcement which also noted that the store's customers now include over 50 million iPhone and iPod touch owners worldwide - in 77 countries, to be exact …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Pointless

I can fart perfectly well without owning an iPhone, which makes the gizmo a little pointless don't you think?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insert fart app comment here

I was about to post something to the effect of "cue hater comment about fart app in 10 seconds..." but I see I'm already too late.

To all the anti-fanbois: Comments about fart apps are getting a bit tiring now - move on to something else (or better yet, just f*ck off - you're worse than the fanbois).

3. Dave 142

fart

maybe one fart app per phone would be a better model? most people wouldn't need more than that (plus their own gases of course)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title here.

But your bum can't produce games like Double Maze... I hope.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lidl Shopping List App

Because it does not get much better.

6. Chris Miller

Another extrapolation

50 million users and 2 billion downloads - that's an average of 40 apps per user, over 30 of which would be paid for. I'm sure most folks won't have anything like that number, which means some must have hundreds of paid apps. I agree there are a fair few useful apps out there, but how many different instances of fart jokes do you need at $5 a pop?

There was an excellent programme on BBC4 last night - Upgrade Me (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n1hwj), which included Simon Armitage talking to a class of schoolchildren about their most desirable gadget. The answer was the iPhone. I conclude that Apple is the new Burberry.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

9.5 million downloads?

Not seen the app store as I don't have a phone, but as an easy money thing - does the developer get £1 for every download. £9.5 million is not bad for an application that just makes noises.

8. It wasnt me
    Thumb Down

BS

2 billion downloads.

50 million users.

So, average 40 apps per user. I call BS.

I know about 20 people with iPhones, and Id say the average is about 5 apps downloaded.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor research

I'll forgive you only because there aren't many alternative avenues for research, but I can tell you now that Mobclix's numbers are WAY off.

You can track your own app's performance via their website, and it bears absolutely no resemblence - either chart position or units - to the real thing. It's not even useful to get an overview or ballpark.

10. Alastair McFarlane
    Jobs Horns

Re: BS

I know plenty people with about the same.

However, I also know a couple people with *way* more than that. Enough to up the average that much? I wouldn't care to guess, but there are certainly people who go to town on the app store...

11. H 5
    Stop

Downloads not sales..

You can re-downloads apps as often as you like, I personally fell into the UI fubar of Synching-away my apps and had to re-download them.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: 40 apps average per user comments

This may well be correct. I have probably downloaded about 25 apps myself (2 paid the rest free).

However, I have deleted most of the free apps I have downloaded as they were either rubbish, pointless or in the case of games just variations on a theme.

It is certainly conceivable that a large number of iPhone users just download hundreds of free apps, use them once and then delete them. Will still count as downloads (you get a receipt even for the free ones) but won't end up getting used.

As for the stats that as X% of available apps are paid for then X% of downloads will also be paid for this is clearly a fallacy. Of the 2 billion apps downloaded I would expect at least 80-90% to be the free ones.

Oh, I have not downloaded any fart apps, not even to see how bad they are.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Bullshit

40 apps per person sounds an extremely high average, particularly as a lot of people don't bother with apps at all or at least very few apps on their iPod touches, and many don't even bother on the iPhone.

No, this is just another figure pulled out of thin air by Apple's marketing dept. to keep their hype machine rolling, despite the actual real world crappiness of their hardware.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@Chris Miller 07:15 "Another extrapolation"; @it wasnt me 08:44 "BS"

Chris Miller Posted Tuesday 29th September 2009 07:15 GMT, "50 million users and 2 billion downloads - that's an average of 40 apps per user, over 30 of which would be paid for. I'm sure most folks won't have anything like that number, which means some must have hundreds of paid apps."

it wasnt me Posted Tuesday 29th September 2009 08:44 GMT, "2 billion downloads. 50 million users. so, average 40 apps per user. I call BS. I know about 20 people with iPhones, and Id say the average is about 5 apps downloaded.'

I could not believe the numbers when you folks posted the math... when I looked at my phone, I counted 45 applications that were downloaded through iTunes with another 14 web page links!

If I did not think I had over 40 apps on my phone, I suspect people who don't own iPhones don't have a clue how many apps other people are downloading!

Unbelievable but possibly true!!!

15. B 9

@It wasnt me

"So, average 40 apps per user. I call BS.

I know about 20 people with iPhones, and Id say the average is about 5 apps downloaded."

Now I have to call BS on you. I know tons of people with iPhones and they have TONS of apps. An average of 40 per user definitely sounds about right.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Two months - twenty apps

After two months I have about 20 apps - I'd say five are free (e.g. Google Earth, Shazam, etc.) The rest are utilities and tools with various pricing - mostly 59p a shot - hardly a bank breaker if they are a useful addition.

For me I've slowed down with app purchases and downloads - however I imagine it will be one a month for the next twelve months or so.

@BULLSHIT/AC - I agree 40 apps might be a little high - but most people DO bother with downloads (after all some ARE really useful/entertaining) and in particular for the iTouch.

17. B 9

@AC

"40 apps per person sounds an extremely high average, particularly as a lot of people don't bother with apps at all or at least very few apps on their iPod touches, and many don't even bother on the iPhone.

No, this is just another figure pulled out of thin air by Apple's marketing dept. to keep their hype machine rolling, despite the actual real world crappiness of their hardware."

Oh come on! 40 does not sound high at all. I would say it's right on the money. I have about 60 I've downloaded, some I've deleted, but I probably have about 40 on my phone now and it seems like a similar experience with others I know. It seems obvious that your anti-Apple bias might be blinding you to the fact that no hype machine is necessary on the iPhone. It is a real juggernaut and that's because people like the phone!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like