back to article Adobe pushes out Photoshop Elements 8

Adobe Systems has launched Photoshop Elements 8 for Windows and Mac platforms. The San Jose, California-based vendor announced the immediate availability of the Windows version of the software, as well as the imminent arrival of the Mac version, yesterday. The latest release of its photo editing and organisation package aimed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew 51
    Unhappy

And in the uk?

So $99 (current special offer makes it $79) becomes £74.75 in the UK. There's an exchange rate ...

What I never understand about Adobe is that the download costs even more - £78.98.

2. John H. Maw

Mac version out at almost the same time

Good to see Adobe release the Mac version at almost the same time (for a change).

3. Citizen Kaned
    Thumb Down

adobe are tw@s now

andrew - i know the feeling.

we bough the master collection last year. £1600. it was only $1400!!!

ive lost faith in adobe over the years. its a pity photoshop is so much better than anything else available.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Adobe have problems ?

No 64 bit version is available for Windows - same as V 7 and for V7 they refused to support on 64 bit, let alone provide a separate version.

Same for Flash - no 64 bit version available for Windows.

Can it really be that hard ?

5. spegru
    Linux

Alternatively

Try Rawstudio for Linux - which is of course free

Look in your distribution's repository or simply type (or copy & paste from here) into a terminal

sudo apt-get install rawstudio followed by a return

Easier than going down the shops!

6. David Haworth

snow leopard?

so, do we know if PSE8 supports the new snow leopard technology, ie OpenCL to supposedly allow it to process things quicker? I'm still waiting to see a program come out which properly makes use of this shiny new tech and works astonishingly quickly.

dave

7. jmccoy
    Jobs Halo

Will it be a fast install for Mac

One thing I love about owning my Mac is the ability to just drag and drop install most programs. However Adobe doesn't like this way of doing things if their PS Elements 6 for Mac is anything to go by, it takes an age to install. Would I be expecting too much in wishing that Adobe make things a little less time consuming with PSE 8 ?

8. Nick Ryan Silver badge
    Stop

Bugs?

So will this fix all the hundreds of bugs in PSE7? Also, have Adobe decided to start using STANDARD windows, standard controls (sliders, buttons, etc) - so once the computer luddites have learned how to use normal windows controls they don't then have to learn how the Adobe ones work as well?

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

re: And in the uk?

AFAIK, the reason for the Download version costing more is that the Adobe Download servers are loaced in Ireland so even though your contract is with Adobe UK, you have to pay IRISH VAT as that is where the the order is fullfilled from.

There again, I could be wrong.

IMHO, this is a SCAM. Now how much did the Irish Gov give the likes of Microsoft & Adobe to have their EU base there?

Coat. With the word 'Sucker' on the back for obvious reasons.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Richard 102
    Stop

RE: And in the UK?

For the love of Adam Smith, how often do we need to go over this? Yes, the exchange rate gives you somethign different than the listed prices, BUT: list prices in the US are given without taxes included (since this varies state to state) whereas in the UK they are, the UK has VAT, there are transportation costs, and it may well be that the cost of doing business in the UK is higher in the US. (Given the way y'all are taxed, it wouldn't surprise me.)

And if that isn't enough, consider it revenge for Simon Cowell and reality television. If you want lower prices, give us QI and Top Gear on broadcast networks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like