back to article eBay boss bids for governorship

Meg Whitman, the ex-boss of eBay, has confirmed her bid to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor of California. Arnie the Terminator must stand down in 2010 after completing four terms - he won't be back. The bid is no great surprise - Republican Whitman, who was co-chair of John McCain's failed presidential bid, left her …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The March Hare
    Thumb Up

bidders with less that +5 will be removed

mind you, who else would bid on the world's largest lunatic asylum?

2. Robert Heffernan
    Grenade

Public (service) support

Somehow, I don't think Mrs Whitman will be able to count on the vote of the staff of the Californian public service.

Grenade, cos' you can imagine the response of a disgruntled, recently unemployed public servant.

3. lukewarmdog
    Welcome

A New California

Seems a bit silly.. Californians were clearly perfectly happy with the old California, so much they kept voting Arnie back in.

"Whitman pledged to cut $15bn from the state's budget and sack 40,000 state employees."

Well that should ensure no state employee votes for Whitman, I don't think those ex-Arnie people she employed are really on her side..

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Great, ruin eBay...

Then take on California! Master plan!

5. Greg J Preece

Cutting costs?

That doesn't sound like an eBay chief...

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Message to vendor:

Re: Your offering of "A New California"

Ooooo goody. I've always wanted one of those. Will you ship it to Europe? I see you only accept PayPal, would it be possible to pay via Bank Transfer? Does the new version come with adequate electricity and water supplies as I've heard that version 1.0 has some limitations in this area? Also, I've heard that the original version was prone to overheating and catching fire, has this been fixed? Are there any known faults* in the new version?

*Large geological ones of course.

7. Steve Mann

Bah!

Feedback totals needed before anyone entertains this "bid".

8. amanfromearth
    Dead Vulture

Well..

"See what we did there? Bids... eBay... clever eh?"

No

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

A vote for Mrs Whitman...

...is a vote to increase California's unemployed by 40,000...

Well that's just a brilliant plan at a time when unemployment in California is at its highest for decades.

10. Not Fred31
    WTF?

I failed at ebay, I failed with McCain so...

...elect me.

How can she lose?

Perhaps she could exchange San Francisco for a few shares in Skype?

11. patricia013
    Thumb Down

Whitman for Governor

If Whitman gets in Californians can expect huge tax raises every year...just the same way she ran Ebay! Ask any seller about fee raises.

Arnie kept getting votes because he was ineffective and basically did nothing good or bad. This year he really did bad - caving into a 12 billion dollar tax hike on a state that presently has 12 percent unemployment. He should have been hung by his thumbs! The only good idea Whitman has is in cutting our gigantic, wasteful government!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Four terms?

No, it only felt that way.

13. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

Funding?

All donations to be made via PayPal.

You won't get your money back if you are not satisfied with what you get.

Paris, she knows how to get lots of small donations.

14. Philip Cohen

This has to be a joke, is it not?

California's got enough problems already. Why would they want to make things any worse by electing Whitman, a woman who's latest claim to fame is that of starting eBay's journey down the toilet? Give me a break. If she can convince the California voters that she actually has any ability, we are all doomed ...

15. Jason Paul Kazarian
    Paris Hilton

She's Not The Only One

Whitman isn't the only IT exec running for public office. So is Carly Fiorina, ex HP.

First off, government is not a business. So being an effective CEO does not automatically make one an effective public servant.*

Second off, both of these CEOs helped their respective companies go down. We don't need this in California, natch.

I am a native Californian and am heading back in November.

Paris 'cos she would be a better "guvner" then Whitman. Or Fiorina, for that matter.

16. LateNightLarry
    FAIL

A New California...

Lessee... she wants to cut 40,000 state employees... That should ensure that no state employee or their families will vote for her...

She wants to cut the state budget by $15 billion... That should ensure that none of the seniors and disabled whose lifeline services have already been cut will vote for her...

She's a Republican (Does that party still exist?)... That should ensure that she will lose just about everywhere except Orange County...

Save your money, Meg... You're going to lose...

17. AceRimmer1980

Or just click here

to Buy It Now

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like