back to article Microsoft accused of 'ulterior motive' in Linux patent sale

Does the troll-blocking organization that recently secured a set of supposedly Linux-related patents from Microsoft need sizing for a penguin-shaped tinfoil hat? Or was the IP sale really Redmond's secret scheme to "create fear, uncertainty, and doubt" in the open-source community? On Monday, at LinuxCon in Portland, Oregon, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Glen 9
    Troll

Well...

is that last paragraph hinting that he himself is a linux troll or am I seeing things?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Microsoft patents

Obviously Microsoft would never resort to dodgy underhand tactics - their track record proves that.

4. Hugh_Pym

@Mosh Jahon

"Business is business"

Is that a bit like saying "Of course it's immoral they're only in it for the money" ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patents are meant to foster innovation

not tie up the bleeding obvious and useful in litigation.

The entire patent system needs an overhaul, it is immoral as it stands, and it is the victim of abuse.

Won't someone think of the patent system,

6. frank ly
    Stop

Free the patent?

Why is is necessary to hold and 'guard' these patents? If the current owner really wants the world to benefit, can they not make a public statement that they 'hereby release and relinquish all rights in these patents to the people of the world'? Yes, I know it's an idealistic and perhaps naive choice of words and it would require an army of lawyers to draft a 50 page document to do it, but it should be possible.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

It's State-enforced monopolies

...that cause this kind of discussions. Can't compete? Get a patent. Then try to "monetize" it. If this means harm and destruction to a large part of the marketplace while lawyers are being fattened and the actual innovation goes down the toilet, so be it.

8. copsewood
    Boffin

@AC "patents are meant to foster innovation"

The agenda this argument serves to hide is that laws are "bought" through influence by lobbyists acting for vested interests who want lucrative government-granted monopoly rights.

If you were a small software innovator choosing where to locate, where would you conduct your business ? In a country like the US where you could be sued out of your home and livelihood or in the UK where software patents don't apply ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Immediately tear down the patent office

And hold all current patents for review. The system is horribly broken, and it is killing innovation.

10. Matt Vernon 1
    Joke

title

"OIN would have paid top dollar to own and sit on the patents...." doesn't sound very open source to me....

*Ducks behind monitor*

11. James O'Brien
    Linux

I just love

How he sits on his high horse and says that M$ did this to install fear, doubt and uncertainty in the community. Personally I think they did it because they got top dollar and could have cared less about the OIN because they would probably cry about the price being too much. "We would have offered top dollar" my ass.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

of course

of course there was another motive to create FUD for linux.

this is why the economy is in the shape it is in. companies like microsoft build false economies and thus everything else gets built on a house of cards. i.e. the whole virus industry.

the patent IP business is nothing short of shady and really needs to be overhauled.

this is the plan of attack on linux from microsoft. they can't compete on level playing field because linux is so far ahead technically of windows it isn't even funny.

I guess they don't want to risk government intervention so they directly won't attack linux but will do it through proxies like SCO.

13. kain preacher

Hun

Wait MS didn't sell it directly. They sold it to some one who then sold to some else .

14. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@frank ly

By holding the patents, they can be sure that others won't use them in ways that isolate open source. If they were to release them, anybody could make use of them without fear of legal action. This includes companies that choose to apply them along with other technologies/patents and isolate the open source community from it. By holding the patents, they can enforce them and prevent companies from using them in a way that doesn't benefit the community. We've seen how ugly things can get in the slow moving court system, better to be the one bringing the lawsuit, than to be the one being sued.

Make no mistake, even freely available IP needs to be controlled to prevent others from misusing it.

Devil Bill, b/c this is exactly what MS wanted, to establish recognized ownership of probably sketchy patents so their other sketchy patents carry more weight down the road.

15. Steve P

@frank ly

It's the mutually assured destruction defence. You're free to use these patents unless you use your patents against us.

It's as good as relinquishing all rights, but retaining some protection for themselves against others who have a less philanthropic view of patents.

But yeah, I definitely agree with the other posters suggesting that the patent system is broken.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like