back to article 'Buy puke-rays and we'll donate to police widows & orphans'

A US firm which sells handheld puke-ray weapons for the police and military markets has adopted a novel marketing ploy. For every chunder-gat purchased, the company will donate a small sum to help the families of cops and troops who have been killed in the line of duty. Laser Energetics of New Jersey announced that its Dazer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Indomitable Gall

For pity's sake.

Diverting public procurement cash to charity is probably against the law in a number of states. Any force considering these will be likely to ask to keep the $25 themselves. This is a headline grab.

2. Olafthemighty
    Coffee/keyboard

Thanks, Lewis!

"Chunder-gat" - excellent.

3. Geoff Kennedy
    Grenade

Chunder Gat....

Best... Term.... Ever....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Price???

Hi,

What's the price? Can't wait to see those on the market (if they work).... Especially as it's probably not an "offensive weapon" so hard to ban... let's get ready for the next G20... let's have some fun...

5. Mintsauce
    Heart

You missed..

... 'Chunderbuss'

You can have that one for free ;)

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Doomed

This 'weapon' may be foiled by the defence shield developed by Ray-Ban in the 1950's. Or, you could just shut your eyes / look away , I suppose?

And the hand-held looks a lot like a real gun. While the 'enforcement officer' lazer dazes thug #1, thug #2 promptly pops him with his old fashioned ballistic weapon thinking he's about to be capped, great.

7. LuMan
    Stop

It all looks so good....

....until they try the Chunder Gat (C) on some 80s throwback with mirrored Ray Bans. All that barf-inducing strobo-bother will bounce back on the hapless do-nut (sic) mauler, resulting in them dropping half a pound of Dunkin's finest onto their flats.

I wonder if all police dogs will be renamed Huey....!

8. The Mysterious Panda
    Alien

Desperately scrabbling for cool names...

I loved this little gem from the website;

'The word M.E.A.N. is actually an acronym which stands for: “Modulated & CW Lasers…Erratically pulsed …Awareness inhibiting …Nausea inducing… Beam”.'

So, did they come up with the name first and try and squeeze the meaning in, or did they decide that 'M.C.W.L.E.P.A.I.N.I. Beam' didn't really roll of the tongue?

When they are deployed, will the police have to yell 'Chunder! Chunder! Chunder Gats! Ho!'?

I for one welcome our technicolour yawn-inducing overlords.

9. ElReg!comments!Pierre

It makes perfect sense!

"But it might also be a desperate attempt to blackmail police or military purchasers into coughing up for a largely ineffective product."

Well, it makes sense. "Buy our product, we'll give cash to your soon-to-be orphans and widow!". Best marketting strategy ever.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I wonder

I wonder how close you have to be to use one of these (assuming it's not a scatter gun approach), I guess a bunch of protesters primed up with plenty of liquid will be able to vomit quite a distance, gonna be a smelly G20 for some policemen. .

11. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

mee tooo

I have to congratulate you on 'chunder gat'

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dont go into the Light!

So im guessing this weapon can be defeated by either

A) Not looking directly at the large light weapon pointed at your face or

B) Wearing sun glasses?

Apart from making you sick, I assume it also has some lovely side effects? Epileptic fits, blindness, retina damage etc....

I guess they will use it like they use peper spray in the uk, Hold your eyes open and force it on you!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Streuth Ruth

Looks like the perfect torture weapon for police to point into a meat wagon or cell.

No evidence of attack method. Officer unseen behind laser.

Much better than the method they use now - we've all seen the recent attack on the man held down on a car bonnet.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Less lethal"?

"Less lethal"? "Less lethal"? How can something be "less lethal"? What, less lethal than lethal? Like, "more unique"? Or him-1 being "more of a virgin" than him-2?

(*) Yes, I know it's probably been said before but I'm not awake yet...

15. SSC dougal
    FAIL

Major Flaw

i see one pootentialy fatal flaw with this technology.

it is claimed it uses a flashinf light to be directed into the eyes of the perp. what happens when this light is directed at sum1 with epilepsy and sends them into a fit.

and before the comments cum regarding them being criminals and who cares, how many times do you hear of the police going for innocent people.

16. Martin 19
    WTF?

Instead of puke rays and electric shocks

has anyone ever considered using simple tranquiliser darts against violent perps? Or does that idea just lack the 'must-have' authoritarian overtones of unnecessarily painful methods?

17. Cortland Richmond
    Pint

Too late!

Rave and Disco-hardened fans fail to succumb, budget officials ill.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like