back to article Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx sprays sweet perfume at freeloaders

The founder of Linux distie Ubuntu has outlined plans for the platform’s next release (10.04), which is expected to land in April 2010. Mark Shuttleworth said in a video message to attendees of the open source outfit’s UbuCon Atlanta meeting yesterday, that the next version of the distribution carries the code name Lucid Lynx …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Freeloaders?

Where do freeloaders come into this? Are all open-source users freeloaders now in the eyes of El Reg? Have you become twisted hacks?

2. Mike Gravgaard

Sound quality

He really needs a better mic!

Mike

3. h 6
    Alert

Lynx?

Not to be confused with Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc. etc.

4. Adam Williamson 1
    FAIL

Deodorant

""Lynx is a predator but it’s a very thoughtful, considerate predator," said Shuttleworth, who also noted that it's a brand name for a rather well-known men's deodorant."

Which would have had the people attending a conference in Atlanta scratching their heads, as the product in question isn't called Lynx in the U.S. It's called Axe.

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Premature...

"In practising the art of building Ubuntu and creating this enormous community, we’ve not lost sight of the importance of delivering all of that goodness from all of those many communities on a predictable cadance," said Shuttleworth.

"Delivering Ubuntu 10.04 as an LTS, is the definitive proof that that two-year cadence works."

Seems a bit premature for Shuttleworth to be congratulating everyone on the 10.04 release -- it's not due out for 6 or 7 months (April 2010 -- the version number is (last 2 of year).(month) .) And in fact I don't know if it's been started yet -- 9.10 is not due for a few weeks. I think 10.04 *will* show this schedule works out fine but it sure isn't definitive proof yet.

Good luck, and as an Ubuntu user and Ubuntu system distributor I wish him the best!

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Linux

Big Cats

So that one less Big Cat for Apple to use...

Who cares about what name they are going to use? Not me as I don't use Ubuntu or any flavour thereof. The last release was hardly a big event with all the Ubuntu users I know. More of a damp squib more like. No great euphoria, fireworks or (sigh) launch parties.

Ok thats my rant over. Now I can get back to compiling Slackware from source.

Only Joking.

Tux, because every new Linux user is one less for the monopoly.

7. jon 72
    Coat

Compatability

Now if they could just make it work using Vista drivers...

Allright, allright I'm getting my coat

8. Alan Esworthy
    Grenade

Considerate?

The lynx marks its territory with urine, feces, and scent gland secretions. How thoughtful and considerate is that, eh?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Mark is for IT what Jesus is for Religion

Ubuntu's Mark is bigger than Linus in my book.

You know why?

Because without him, Linux would be run only in headless boxes in dark corners of server rooms.

10. Martin Owens
    Linux

Rock on Ubuntu!

Obligatory community support for the next version of Ubuntu after the next version of Ubuntu due out next month.

hope to see you all at UDS to decide what to do about 10.04

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold up the standards

Let's focus on what's already available. MS may flog illusionary products as much as they want. No need for anyone else to dive in the same pool of mud.

12. RachelG

Sweetest-smelling ever?

Has he *smelled* Lynx?

(Can't speak for the cat; I mean the spray-on repellant.)

13. Dan Likes Spoons
    Thumb Up

A very thoughtful, considerate predator

I was attacked by a Lynx once - it repeatedly asked if I was comfortable as I lay on the ground with its jaws clamped round my throat, and after the attack it sent me flowers.

14. goggyturk
    Happy

Hey ladies

"Lynx is a predator but it’s a very thoughtful, considerate predator," said Shuttleworth, who also noted that it's a brand name for a rather well-known men's deodorant."

Is that the kind of predator that leaves his number in the morning after a wee cuddle (as opposed to the Microsoft version that sneaks out at 4 in the morning after failing to perform??)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like