back to article Dell to buy Perot Systems for $3.9bn

Michael Dell has finally gained a place at the IT services top table by buying Perot Systems for $3.9bn. Dell will pay $30 a share for Perot Systems - its stock is currently trading at $17.91, giving a premium of 67.5 per cent. Perot Systems' chairman, Ross Perot Jr, becoming a Dell board candidate. Perot Systems will become …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tycooon

Creating work for themselves

Sounds like the first job might be to fix the Dell XPS servers that went down last week....

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Ross Perrot. More Ronnie Corbet, less John Wayne

A comment no doubt lost on US readers. Steve Carel perhaps?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

They should buy your time machine too

You might have missed a little story about Enron and Arthur Andersen a while back but the only people worried about using Andersen for services must have a time machine. I presume the stuff you got off the press release is accurate and it's just the stuff where you demonstrate your own knowledge of the market that's suspect? ;-)

4. Tim Spence
    Alert

Who?

I'm frankly amazed there is a company out there worth what Perot Systems is supposedly worth, with as many employees as it has, and I've never heard of them before.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Arthur Andersen?

"getting into the clutches of big consultancies such as Arthur Andersen."

Do you mean Accenture? Andersen hasn't been quite the same since Enron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Andersen

6. Nordrick Framelhammer

Is this an attempt to fix Dell's reputation?

Let's face it. Dell is not exactly known for it's customer service.

Or will there be a stampede away from Perot now that they will be pushing Dell?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Tim Spence

"I'm frankly amazed there is a company out there worth what Perot Systems is supposedly worth, with as many employees as it has, and I've never heard of them before."

I think that says more about you and your awareness of the sector than it does about Perot Systems. I've been aware of them for a number of years - not least because they (probably rightly so based on my interview performance) turned me down for a job back in '98. Bigtime Consulting (Andersen Consulting), however, did give me a job.

Can't quite believe one of El Reg's hacks not only mistook AA for an IT Services company (that was what Andersen Consulting, later known as Accenture, was created for) but also isn't aware that they pretty much no longer exist these days any way. Surely everyone in IT knows about this..?

This topic is closed for new posts.