back to article Wireless charging coming to Latitude?

Dell may be on the cusp of launching a high-end laptop equipped with wireless charging technology, it has been reported. Dell_latitude_z_03 Dell's Latitude Z may launch with a wireless charging feature Credit: Notebook Review Images of the Latitude Z first broke cover back in June. However, business publication Forbes has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why?

What exactly is the point of wireless charging on a laptop? Aren't most laptops used on mains power most of the time? Will it have a power lead as well or are you supposed to use it next to the wireless charger if you don't want your batteries running down?

2. LucanUK
    Troll

@ac

Come on... use ya noggin.. wireless charging for other devices.. mobile phones.. pdas... ifuds.. etc...etc

Troll.. cause it most likely was!

3. Witty username
    IT Angle

hmm

I for one want a giant, red alert 2 style tesla coil to charge mine!

4. Greg J Preece
    Thumb Down

Wow, pointless!

1) You'll be the only one with a wireless charging laptop, so you'll be the only one using your expensive charger, so you might as well...use a bloody wired one!

2) This will take longer to charge the same battery and will result in stupid amounts of energy loss - very environmentally friendly, I'm sure.

3) If the idea of this is that you can pick it up and move around, what's to stop you moving in and out of range, constantly ragging your battery until it dies?

4) For all this and more, it'll cost a small fortune.

To hell with that shit. I want my laptop to charge in an hour, not trickle charge for 6 hours.

5. chris 143

won't wireless charging do something pretty horrible to the hard disk?

I'm no physics student (chemistry actually) but won't the wireless charging (generating a nice big magnetic field) cause quite a lot of damage to any magnetic storage like say a hard disk?

6. itbod

is it just me....

Or it the latitude range getting a little too complicated?

Now a completely sealed / waterproof laptop with a wireless dock could be a very cool thing.

7. Bruce 2
    Thumb Up

@hmm

I agree RA2 style tesla would be very cool!

8. Rob Farnell

I can only see this working

in public environments. The TED demonstration of the technology was amazing, but you can see the tin hat brigade going insane about it being present anywhere public. It is non-radioactive, but I'm sure someone will find a way to enter litigation.

As for the efficiency, the technology is very young and no doubt it can theoretically be improved.

I'm amazed that Dell have put it into a laptop this early so maybe other agreements are on their way?

9. Frank Fisher
    Thumb Up

Brain tumour-tastic!

Just because Tesla was barking mad and died broke and crazed, it doesn't mean he wasn't a genius.

'Bout time we had this kinda thing - and how about jetpacks?

10. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Boffin

Waring - Strong magnetic fields

Do not wear a watch when charging

Not suitable for people with pace-makers

'nuff said

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

most likely, perhaps?

I smell bullshit.

12. Steven Hunter
    Boffin

Pretty sure

I'm pretty sure that this is merely induction charging, meaning you have to place the laptop onto a special surface/mat. This would be *slightly* more convenient than plugging in a cable, but only just so.

13. Sarev

To all the muppets saying this is pointless...

The thing that always, _always_ breaks on Dell laptops which is a real, utter PITA to fix and usually leads to buying a new one is the connector on the mobo for the power supply. If I bought a laptop with wireless charging, I'd probably not need to buy another one for four or five years - especially as I wouldn't be putting Windows on it (you can always replace the RAM, HD and battery, after all).

For that reason alone, I postulate that Dell won't put wireless charging in this laptop.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bang

I think BANG Goes The Theory should show kids how to build their own tesla charger.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pointless

I don't want this. All you'll achieve, other that a toasted groin, is a slightly lower efficiency; precisely at a point in history where the efficiency of devices is increasing in importance.

@ Sarev: You can rest assured that if it's always the power sockets that fail first usually, then in this it'll be the coil in the charge plate, or the plug connecting the charge plate, or something equally simple that'll go wrong. All you'll do is move the point of failure to somewhere you're not expecting.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like