back to article Thieves help selves to PCs from Office for Digital Inclusion

The UK.gov's digi-quango, the Office for Digital Inclusion, has lived up to its name by distributing a whole office of PCs to underprivileged people without even trying. The ODI's job is to close the digital divide and force people onto the web, even if they don't want to. Staff at the fledgling quango apparently turned up to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Kitson

Tweleted

Shows up on tweleted.com for Marthalanefox.

2. AC 4
    Thumb Up

ahem,

LUL!

3. Kevin Johnston

Timing

Theft? or simply re-allocation of resources as part of cutbacks which they would have known about if only the letter had not been stuck in the post.

4. Sabine Miehlbradt
    Pirate

Oh, you said Inclusion

I read that as Digital Delusion.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just to Be Clear

BIS is responsible for ensuring that 'digital inclusion' initiatives across Government are properly coordinated, but its Communities and Local Government that actually funds the ODI

6. asiaseen

Digi-quango

sounds like a high-tech sex aid.

7. frank ly
    Thumb Up

This is terrible

This is a terrible thing to happen - so why am I laughing?

8. Andus McCoatover
    Welcome

Our "Digital Tsar.."

seems to be a Lame Fox.

Myst-all-chucking-frighty. Locks and beefy security gorillas aren't a modern invention. CCTV cameras must've caught the perps. er....G20 - probably "switched off"

Hint: Check the local Sally Army shop. They're probably distributing them for the needy, with a cup of soup and a pair of one-previous-owner underpants.

I for one welcome our replacement new competent digital tsar.

9. The BigYin
    FAIL

Hmm

Was there no silent alarm to summon plod? Or were the police too busy targeting speeders to care about real crime?

Why were the PCs not tethered to desks? It's not hard and slows thieves down.

Were the PCs, monitors etc tagged to make tracking/finding easier? Again, not hard to do.

Are the PCs encrypted/locked to render them useless to anyone without a key/fob?

Was there any CCTV showing the thieves?

Were the PCs (and their lack of security) plainly visible from the street?

Did the windows, doors and other access points not have security barriers?

What information did these PCs hold? Was any of it sensitive? If so, was it protected in any way?

As MLF was in charge, will she offer her resignation if it is shown that basic security measures were not taken?

10. Richard 102
    Pint

Wait a minute

Wouldn't thieves showing up at a government office be coals-to-Newcastle thinking?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Well they're more clued up than we gave credit for

Great way to get a windows 7 upgrade quickly....OOH, me XP kit's been nicked guv!!

12. Dave Bell

Bet they won't sell

What's the odds on them being some semi-obsolete, over-priced, end-of-line stock, Vista-installed machines, which will be replaced by decent machines with Windows 7 pre-installed?

13. Anonymous John
    FAIL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8263110.stm

Refers to two laptops having been stolen, but still says that all its PCs were stolen.

Why the Digital Champion quango only has two computers isn't explained.

Hands up everyone here who has two or less computers?

Nobody?

Why am I not surprised?

14. MarkB

Insured?

I very much doubt it. AIUI nothing governmental is insured. The cost of insuring everything compared to the cost of replacing what is lost/broken/stolen is such that insurance doesn't add up.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong, of course.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous John

I think that was the spin doctor closing the stable door after the horse had twittered.

If faux pas like this keep happening, the post of Twittertsar won't last long.

16. RW

Force people onto the web? Good lord.

A minor detail: email is NOT part of the web, though there are web interfaces to gmail, hotmail, and their ilk.

But more seriously: what a foolish mission. The simple fact is that modern personal computers of all types are simply not ready for prime time. To keep them up and running an in good health takes a degree of intelilgence and initiative that a sizable fraction of the population simply lacks. They are not interested in geekiness.

Windows is out of the question with its endless security holes and periodic epileptic fits (i.e. BSOD). Linux is far, far too geeky, though once it's up and running it's much less of a headache than windows. And the Mac? I remain to be convinced that it's any better. Until the use of a computer is no more complex than the use of a telephone, this whole initiative is doomed to a sad, lingering failure.

Who is going to support the forced-user community when things go wrong? Or will that be yet another quango?

I have news for the idiots in government: computers are not the end all and be all of existence.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Pssst...

Anyone wana buy some cheap PC's?

18. Steven Knox
    Happy

@RW

"The simple fact is that modern personal computers of all types are simply not ready for prime time. To keep them up and running an in good health takes a degree of intelilgence and initiative that a sizable fraction of the population simply lacks."

Sounds to me like you're saying that a sizable fraction of the population isn't ready for prime time, rather that personal computers -- unless you specifically mean ready for watching prime-time television, in which case, you're right -- the majority of the population are perfectly qualified for that.

"Until the use of a computer is no more complex than the use of a telephone, this whole initiative is doomed to a sad, lingering failure."

Fortunately, Blackberry, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and their hardware and network partners are working night and day to ensure that, indeed, the complexity of a computer will soon be exactly on par with that of a telephone.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Alistair Darling is today pulling in government ministers

Why did I read this as: Alistair Darling is today pulling ON government ministers

Yeah, I know....time for a lie down.

20. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "the complexity of a computer will soon be exactly on par with that of a telephone"

Yep. And the day after that you'll see squadrons of pigs over Bristol.

This topic is closed for new posts.