back to article Skype founders sue eBay in license brawl

The founders of Skype sued eBay for copyright infringement almost two weeks after it agreed to sell a majority stake in the voice over IP business for $2bn. Joltid, which is owned by Janus Friis and Niklas Zennstrom, filed suit in Northern California US District Court over peer-to-peer technology included in Skype software, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SuperTim
    FAIL

eBay got it soooo wrong.

When eBay bought Skype, they didnt check the sale terms regarding the tech they were buying then? They bought the name and the business model and the front end, but not the rights to the entire tech? Seems they got it a bit wrong then didnt they!

2. Mathew White
    Gates Horns

Problem here...

With Microsoft basically having its word docx damages throw out the window, I'm guessing eBay are just gona point over to redmond and say "favoured nation", then laugh.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Welcome to doing business with Zenstrom

This is a repeat of what he did with Kazaa - sell the name + label without the tech which killed the buyers in due course. Anyone doing even the most basic due diligence should have found out that one and seen what is coming for Ebay later on.

It is also one of the reasons why they are (and always will be) on my permanent blacklist. Any company with them on the board is not something I will ever buy kit or technology from.

4. Code Monkey

Online Auctioneer?

What was wrong with tat market or tat bazaar? Sheesh!

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Mixed feelings on this

On one hand software patents are evil and should be banished with extreme prejudice and an axe. On the other hand - this is eBay getting shafted. I can't make up my mind...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

lol that's one way to make money out of something that doesn't turn a profit!

7. ZenCoder

its not patents

This isn't a software patent thing ... they are using their software directly ... for some stupid reason eBay didn't buy the rights to the p2p network that make everything work. Instead I guess they licensed it and the licensing has run out?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like