back to article Microsoft mobile marketplace ads worm into iPhone

Microsoft is clear about the applications it will ban from its upcoming download marketplace for Windows mobile phones. Verboten apps include alternative marketplaces and promotion of, or links to, rivals for the sale or download of software, games and other content already available through Windows Marketplace for Mobile. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Why would Apple care?

For every Apple-toWM migrant, there is boat full of WM-to-Apple refugees.

All that this shows is that MS advertising agencies etc are clueless and wasting effort in the wrong places. If anything that would make Apple smile.

Mine's an Android.

2. alex.whiteside

How is this a worm?

"Microsoft mobile marketplace ads worm into iPhone"

A worm is a self-replicating computer program - a computer virus in the common vernacular. This is buying adverts. I'm not sure I see the connection there.

3. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: How is this a worm?

It's also a verb.

4. Ryan 1986
    Headmaster

boing

maybe the article should be re worded to say "Microsoft mobile marketplace ads worms its way onto iPhone" then, your making it appear like something its not

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: boing

That wouldn't be grammatically correct. It's fine as it is.

Why am I responding to commentards on the finer points of editing? I've got editing to do. Eeesh.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correctness.

Well I'm not sure yours is exactly correct either Sarah, unless of course the ads have only wormed there way onto a single iPhone, or is 'iPhone' like sheep.

"Microsoft mobile marketplace ads worms their way into iPhones"

7. Richard 102

Incorrectness

How about "ad misplaced to miss target audience, 99.99999999% of humanity gets on with its life" for a title?

Back when I was in college, anti-apartheid demonstrations were happening a lot on college campuses. A friend at the student newspaper (you do remember newspapers, right?) had to write a story on how 300 people showed up to one. I suggested "32,700 students find something better to do on a Friday afternoon than mindlessly chant slogans at politicians on the other side of the globe".

Oddly enough, his editor didn't like my idea.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Richard 102

as one of those 300 I have to wonder if our voice, at rallies and events like Artists Against Apartheid at Clapham Common made a difference

http://www.racismnoway.com.au/cgi-bin/printversion/printversion.pl?conf=conf.xml&file=/classroom/factsheets/62.html

But I agree on the iPhone and ads. After all, there's far worse stuff being advertised than an app store with no apps

9. Richard 102

@AC @14:29GMT

I think 300 Comp Lit majors in Bloomington, IN, made de Klerk suddenly pause and say "Hang on, might this need rethinking?" Oh, call me cynical, ...

It's like lefties talking about the fall of the Berlin Wall or the religious right talking about how advanced Western civilization.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bravo, sirs!

This is the fastest derailment of a comment thread I have ever seen. Second comment and the wheels were already off the track. By the 7th we're got to anti-Apartheid rallies from iPhone ads.

Brilliant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like