back to article Archos adds Android 'andheld to PMP collection

Archos has launched a super-sexy internet tablet based on the OS of the moment – Android. The redesigned Archos 5 boasts enough features to keep you entertained for up to 22 hours – the maximum length of time its internal battery will play music for. Buyers also get seven hours of video playback life, Archos said. Central to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Elsie
    Thumb Down

Archos?

Just remember kids that you're ....

Likely to need to "Personalise your device" in buying codecs that should be installed already

Any USB connections are likely to be non-standard

If this has a SIM slot like the 5g, expect to be able to insert a SIM once but never, ever be able to remove/replace it.

It's likely to crash more than George Micheal on a quiet, early morning drive

When something goes wrong (and if the 5 series are anything to go by, it will) make sure you have the Samaritans number at hand. You'll need it dealing with Archos Customer Services.

2. Sebastian Brosig

wow

this sure is a nice gadget. I wish i had the spare cash...

I thought tethering was broken on the iPhone now, though. And surely this unit has more appeal to non-iTards, anyway?

3. Russell Jones
    WTF?

Costs extra for codecs?

Do they still charge for all the useful video codecs? A friend bought a really nice looking player a while ago and then realised she would have to buy €50 worth of codecs to watch most of her videos. It went back to the store the next morning.

4. HFoster
    Thumb Up

I think ...

I've just spied my New Year toy.

5. frymaster

Confused at comments

Why is offering a lower price for people who don't need the extra cost that licencing various codecs incurs a _bad_ thing? As long as you do your research and realise what the headline price doesn't include... I like the pluggable nature of my archos, it keeps my costs down

It's a shame there's not going to be a phone version of this until next year, though

6. A 31
    Thumb Down

the price of a netbook

with he same money, one could really get a fully configurable, brand spanking new laptop

these devices are just cut down version at higher price ...

I appreciate, the vulgum pecus will want something usable straight away, but netbooks pretty much are nowadays.

7. Sandy Ritchie
    Thumb Down

future updates?

And don't expect Archos to keep the product current and up to date with firmware updates.... I've got a IMT 7 and it's had 1 update since I bought it and that was only because they ship it with a 50% broken factory firmware to start.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like