back to article Swayze death exploited to serve up fake anti-virus

Miscreants have moved swiftly to establish malicious websites designed to rip off users searching for more information on the death of actor Patrick Swayze on Monday. Black-hat search engine manipulation means that many sites that appear prominently in search engine results point to sites slinging fake anti-virus scanners. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Oh noes - internet nasties

Better hope the victims have a "ghost" image to fall back on or they'll be very "dirty" as they dance about trying to fix the damage.

2. The Indomitable Gall
    Unhappy

I'd be more likely...

I'd be more likely to fall for a Keith Floyd one, to be honest.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Here we go again...

Simple....

Note to muppets who were not paying attention last time this happened and had to pay PC World £300 to fix their machine....

1. Don't click links in emails! Yes, even the ones from your best mate!

2. Don't click on ads on webpages, especially popups. If you want a widget, get Google out and look for widget at reputable online store, Amazon that sort of place.

3. Install AV/Malware software. Christ you don't even have to buy it now, there are plenty of orgs doing it for nothing, ClamAV etc. No, don't click on that security warning ad and...oh for the love of...not again.....a reputable AV org not ones that promises to....never mid....OI....look, JUST STOP CLICKING!!!

To re-use an old saying:

Would you do that in the real world? No? Then don't do it here!

Finally my own favourite, stop using Windows, either install Ubuntu or save up and buy a Mac!

4. andy gibson
    Coat

At what...

POINT will it BREAK my system?

5. A J Stiles
    Coat

So, how long .....

..... until someone is killed deliberately *just* to punt malware to lusers?

6. John Ridley 1

Seriously...

Is this even news anymore? This has happened EVERY time anyone vaguely famous died for the last year or two.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Here we go again

I have the same thought when the bright sparks on these comments pages trot out the same old advice time after time. They elevate themselves above the 'numpties' and 'muppets' who are too 'dumb' to read The Register (they're the ones who make these mistakes, after all,) yet waste time and network traffic addressing comments to them. What do you expect to achieve, genius? To re-use an old saying, you're preaching to the choir. Though it does guarantee your audience will agree with you, I suppose. Sort of a validation, in a really sad way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like