back to article Mozilla prepares for SeaMonkey 2.0 release

Mozilla has released a second beta of its internet app suite SeaMonkey 2.0. The latest test version is based on the same browser core as Firefox 3.5.3, which means there’s no longer support for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT and Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). It comes with several new features including the ability to open emails, folders …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DJGM
    Megaphone

SeaMonkey is . . .

. . . not an official Mozilla product alongside Firefox, as this article appears to suggest.

The Mozilla Foundation scrapped official development of the Mozilla App-Suite a few

years ago to concentrate their efforts on Firefox. Development of the App-Suite was

continued by a small band of volunteers, The SeaMonkey Council.

SeaMonkey is a project officially supported by The Mozilla Foundation with regards to

technical resources such as webservers and bandwidth, and various legal aspects

such as trademarks protection for the SeaMonkey name, logo and artwork.

Seamonkey was originally the development codename for the early prototype, alpha

and beta builds of the Mozilla Suite used as the basis for Netscape 6.x in much the

same way Mozilla was a development codename for early Netscape browsers.

EDIT: By the way, why is the spacing between the lines on my message all wrong?

Why is their a gap after every single line, rather than only after each paragraph,

and why do the gaps reappear after each attempt to correct the spacing?

The message comment software installed on this site needs this major bug fixed!

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

OMFG!

"......described as a modern day Netscape Communicator...."

Christ on a crutch! That's like M$ touting Win 7 as "an updated Windows Millenium Edition".

For me, Communicator will always mean bloat, bugs and a reason* to like M$ for saving us from it...

*Sorry, *the* reason. I can't think of any others.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

OMG

Now it's happening to me too.

Doing a return carriage starts a new paragraph - just like when editing any other text.

Perhaps I should let the comment window do the wrapping and leave the carriage returns just for paragraphs - oh, and learn the difference between their and there while I'm at it.

4. Steve 72

Obviously

Some of the critics haven't really used the product. Any semblance between SeaMonkey and Netscape suite's bloat after v4.8 is rather "absent".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

Well, I'm all for it

I welcome our Seamonkey 2.0 overlords!

6. DJGM
    Megaphone

@ TeeCee

As Steve72 said, you've clearly never used SeaMonkey. Although it's the same TYPE of

product as the old Netscape Communicator, an internet application suite, it uses the

same codebase as current or recent products from Mozilla, rather than the creaky

old Netscape 4.x codebase from the days of internet yore.

So instead of unnecessary criticisms, maybe you should actually try it first.

http://seamonkey-project.org/

The only physical similarity between the current stable SeaMonkey releases (v1.1.8)

which you'll notice straightaway is the default "Classic" theme, which uses the old

style Netscape 4.x buttons, but in a layout more like the main toolbar in Firefox.

SeaMonkey 2 has finally got rid of the old Netscape look for a new default theme.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like