back to article IBM punts free enterprise language tools

IBM has begun offering a free version of its Enterprise Generation Language (EGL) tools, so developers can build dynamic web applications without getting their hands dirty using HTML or JavaScript. Big Blue's new EGL Community Edition is an Eclipse-based development tool based on code plucked from IBM's Rational Business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian Miller

Compiled to COBOL!

I never thought that COBOL was similar to Java or JavaScript, but what do I know? Wow, COBOL for the web. The last time I used COBOL was back in 1982 on a Sperry-Univac 90/40 machine with a whopping one megabyte of memory supporting 32 terminals.

Maybe EGL will finally live up to the goal of programs that can be written by a grocery clerk and read by a manager.

Or maybe not.

2. Steve John

Developers?

"The goal is to shield developers from complexities typically associated with Web 2.0 application development,"

HTML & JavaScript is about as simple as development gets. If a developer wants to be shielded from this, I would suggest that they should not call themself a developer and maybe get a McJob.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

yaay hurray

Yet another framework with yet another "meta"language to learn. Fail with a yawn.

I'm with Steve John on this one.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
    FAIL

Ok, I'll bite...

EGL has been around for years.

Who's using it?

I heard rumor of someone in Egypt, but not much more than that.

I guess since they couldn't sell it, they're giving it away in hopes of creating some sort of

grassroots effort.

Typical of IBM.

5. Penguin007

COBOL?

As an old COBOL grey beard it is good to see that at least IBM agrees with me that Javascript is more difficult than COBOL......

<ducks and shuffles off.

6. CastorAcer
    Badgers

Simple?

I'm sorry but I can't agree that HTML and JavaScript is as simple as development gets - I would agree with the statement that they should be as simple as development gets.

After years of dealing with browser incompatibilities and the like I'd say that coding Java and .Net is far simpler.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like