back to article Motorola unveils Googlephone for the Tweetbook set

Motorola has unveiled its first Android phone, a long-promised effort to revive the company's floundering smartphone business. Sanjay K. Jha, Motorola co-chief executive and the head of the company's mobile devices division, announced the Motorola Click Cliq this morning at Mobilize 09, a mobile-obsessed mini-conference in San …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh well...

Eventually three will get an Android phone...

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Rubbish

What's with all this exclusivity. iPhone on O2, this phone on Orange, Pal Pre on O2.

Where is consumer choice - I have to switch network every time I want a particular phone ? Thank goodness you can take your number with you but it's still a hassle.

OfCom should be looking into this. Oh yes, OfCom - that's the problem.

I hope Motorola succeed, this exclusivity is not going to help though. I still have my StarTAC - not that I use it. Remember the advert for that... walking along the beach...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes but what's the battery life like?

In my experience, Motorola phones always had poor battery life and that was on phones without Wifi, GPS etc. If they haven't sorted out the power drain on the battery, the phone is doomed.

Still it's looks better than the HTC android phones, and hopefully the fact it's built on Android means they haven't had the opportunity to screw up the UI too much (which was the other big issue with Motorola phones).

4. Gulfie
    Grenade

Exclusives

I suspect the problem with exclusives is that, if your phone isn't exclusive with a carrier, it won't get pushed very hard in their shops. So you're in this catch-22 situation that to sell big you have to partner, which restricts sales. Only a truly fantastic phone will sell well outside of such an arrangement (are you listening, Apple?)

Maybe a solution is to sell *unlocked* and *uncrippled* phones at (cringe) full price direct to the public. Then if there is a good phone out there we can purchase it and use it on the network of our choosing...

5. HansG
    Thumb Down

exclusivity

This must stop, I really don't get it, do the phone manufacturers really make their money back in the wad they get from their chosen network? Compared to the thousands of extra phone they WOULD be selling on other networks?!?!?!?!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

RE: Yes but what's the battery life like?

Read yesterdays discussion on divergent customisations of Android and then sigh in anticipation as Motorola provide a custom UI experience that only they could deliver.

7. Tom Chiverton 1

Not blown away

I was looking to see what the big M did with Android, but looks like Nokia's N900 is going to best it...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like