back to article Ubuntu's Koala food arrives on shelves

Eucalyptus Systems - the fledgling open source outfit that mimics Amazon's so-called compute cloud inside private data centers - has announced its first commercial product. Eucalyptus Enterprise Edition (EEE) is based on the open-source Eucalyptus "private cloud" platform originally developed by company co-founder and chief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chronos
    Joke

Koalas?

With all those references, now would seem to be the perfect time for Ubuntu to install DropBear as the default sshd.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

African Bush Meets ..... Virtual Pow Wows with Mo Jo and Ju Ju

"and because Eucalyptus is really a set of cloud abstractions independent of mechanisms needed to deploy them on existing infrastructure." does IT Offer Dynamic Flexible Liquidity and Rapid XXXXStream Change Facility....... which is a Neat Trick, Ubuntu.

3. Neoc

What I need...

..is a VM sub-system which (simply and easily) makes *all* of the PCs on my home network behave like one single computer with a shyte-load of CPUs and HDDs. That way, if I boot up my (say) XP laptop, it spreads the XP-programs load over all CPUs. And ditto if I boot up my Ubuntu web-server at the same time.

There's probably already a product somewhere which does that, but the keywords here are "simple" and "easy" - I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands. ^_^

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The problem with Drop-Bears...

is Leap-Bears, which go for your throat because you're too busy looking upwards for Drop-Bears.

does this in some way tie back the the Facebook koala-eating myth? I don't think you can actually eat koalas, they are quite poisonous due to all the eucalyptus oil.

5. Grease Monkey Silver badge

What next?

Eucalyptus is Koala food, OK got that, but what happens in April? When Karmic Koala is superceded will Eucalyptus also change it's name? What comes after Koala anyway and what do they eat?

6. Keith Wingate

@Neoc: Nothing new under the sun

I worked for a company in 1989 that had just such a product. It was called Locus Computing. They ended up selling the technology to IBM for inclusion in AIX ... 2.x? SInce it never made it to the shelves, I assume that IBM had trouble making it work, but it did amazing stuff in our labs; on mainframes, VAXen, Intel-based PC's, long-extinct Motorola based micros. The industry is just now catching up.... Plus ça change, ...

7. A J Stiles
    Coat

dropbear

Use dropbear instead of openbsd-sshd? Don't give them ideas! They already changed the default shell from bash to ash .....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like