back to article 250GB PS3 Slim rumoured

Sony will launch a more capacious slimline PlayStation 3 next month, a mole has claimed. The 250GB PS3 Slim will be unveiled at some point next month, a “reliable source” told the Spanish arm of gaming website Eurogamer. It will supposedly retail for around €350 (£308/$509) – roughly €50 more than the existing 120GB model's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

buy the base model...

and upgrade the hard drive yourself?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A massive MEH!

I don't suppose there's any room within that 250GB for a decent web browser that can handle Flash content, or backwards compatibility with PS2 games, or something that makes me go "OH Really! WOW!"

</grump>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The other bit of news.

Is the bundles will be:

FIFA09

Gran Turismo 5

Uncharted 2

FFXIII (Japan only)

Sony are cleaning up this Xmas, nobody else can match those bundles or prices.

4. Bumhug
    Thumb Down

Seems a bit expensive

Considering the price of a 250GB drive is only a couple pounds more than a 120GB drive. I guess the trick is to bundle it with a game so the consumer thinks they are getting a good deal when in reality they arent.

5. Jamie 19
    Linux

PS3

Would only spend money buying one if it was made to be backwards compatible again.

6. Andy Fletcher

Still don't get why....

...anyone would opt for a bigger hard disk configuration on a PS3 and pay more for it. 2.5" drives are cheap as chips and even my mum could do the installation Sony have made it so simple to do. Honsetly, if you can attach a 13amp plug to a wall socket you are probably over qualified! Factor in flogging the existing 120GB on eBay or some other flea market and buying your own drive (7200rpm instead of Sony's 5400 of course) and you're away.

7. Shaun 2
    Paris Hilton

Or.............

For £40 you can get a 320GB 2.5" drive from Dabs/Scan/Misco/Aria/Amazon etc...................

Hell - There's a Samsung 500GB 2.5" drive for ~£55.

Sony needs to stop messing around, and put a decent capacity drive in the PS3 for a reasonable amount of money. In the mean time, buy the cheapest model you can find and upgrade yourself - it's only a couple of screws............

Paris - cos she could cope with a couple of screws................................ Sorry

8. Lloyd
    Alert

As everyone else said

Just bung your own in, I did it with the 40G to 320G, the only hard part is trying to find a link for the most recent UK version of the firmware.

9. MarkOne
    WTF?

re: A massive MEH!

More clueless idiots that don't quite understand that the PS3 Browser does flash just fine. (Flash9 with H.264 no less).

That's what the BBC iPlayer site uses...

10. SuperTim

echo the above

I stuck a 320gb in mine 18 months ago. You just need a big enough external to backup your data first. Still, the less tech savvy will prefer to buy it. The complete norks will buy an 360 and then bang on about how fantastic it is. Mine gathers dust well, but thats about it.

11. EvilGav 1

As everyone has said

. . . update the drive yourself. With a faster spin model.

Worked on my 60GB one.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

OMG!

Must rush out and 'upgrade' again.

Oh, hang on..... I did that last month.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

FCC?

I thought there was already an FCC filing doing the rounds that had confirmed this model?

14. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

free FIFA? Meh...

Blood Bowl comes out next Friday! Not on PS3? oops...

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. ilovemynips

Why is everyone saying upgrade it yourself?

Can you even do that with the slim model?

Either way, will anyone even need that much space?

I upgraded mine (320GB drive in my PS3 Phat) - I download games and demo's from the PSN store, record stuff through Play TV and haven't used hardly any of it. Not even 50Gig

Just don't see the point :S

17. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

thinking like a consumer *and* a geek

I just bought two of the *old* models at a nice discount. The lack of Linux support on the Slim is what finally convinced me that it was the right time to splash out. I've been learning to program the SPEs on the thing in the last week and am really impressed with the performance of the code I've ported so far. Of course, time will tell whether I should have waited longer to get the hardware at an even cheaper price, or should simply have gone for a second-hand console. Maybe I worried too much about the supply of old machines drying up. Either way, the old machine does what I want with great performance. Slims? Who needs them?

18. B3vil

No Linux, No Sale

simple as that really. they've killed the only interesting feature

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ilovemynips

So true....and no PC will ever need more than 640k....

20. Filippo Silver badge

re: buy your own disk

Plenty of people cannot perform the HDD upgrade of the PS3, easy as it is. After all, plenty of people have never even bought a HDD separate from a computer. That's who the model is aimed at. I don't see anything wrong with this.

There's a number of maintenance operation I can't perform on my car, that most people with a smidgen of workshop experience can easily do - yet noone feels car shops should stop offer those services!

At least Sony gives you the option of installing an off-the-shelf HDD!

21. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

re : MarkOne

Oh wow! someone who thinks his PS3 is somehow linked to his self esteem.

FACT, Go to newsgrounds.com and try to play some of the flash animations there, They play like 5 frames a second.

FACT, Try to play any flash games, even simple ones, You can't, the frame rates are way too low.

FACT, There are more uses for flash than a wrapper for the fucking bbc iPlayer videos you moron, besides flash there is only being used for loading / drm purposes, it doesn't render the damn video you muppet.

FACT, The PS3 IS CRAP AT FLASH.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like