back to article HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless all-in-one inkjet

All inkjet makers are trying to persuade us that their printers really do offer an alternative to colour lasers. HP has been a leader in this push and, to its credit, has produced machines more likely to tempt people than most. Surprisingly, running costs are also claimed to be lower than from equivalently priced colour lasers. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the betting....

That their shitty drivers will crash Office just like their previous shitty printer drivers.

I would suggest that any potential purchasers check the HP support lists for all the people complaining about the lack of functioning drivers and the lack of HP response to requests.

If you want a better printer, Kodak are offering some really attractive ones - and no I don't work for Kodak or any of their partners.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Got one

Nice little machine. Plays fairly nicely with the penguin too.

3. Chris Cartledge
    Boffin

Power consumption

There is no point in discussing running costs without including electricity use. Most printers are switched on for most of the time, but are inactive. The specification for this printer, dependent on the exact model, claims about 7 watts maximum on standby. If this is a typical figure, then it will cost just over £7 per year in electricity (on the basis of 24 hours per day at a typical UK price of 12p per kWh).

4. Richard 35
    FAIL

@AC 13:45

Exactly. Drivers written by morons.

I have an HP Photosmart C6180 and while the priter is great, it's totally let down by pre-school drivers.

5. s. pam Silver badge
    Headmaster

Mixed bag, the wireless printers

Whilst we have the n-1 version of this printer and it works well for all the Macs in our house, these printers are INK HUNGRY little crack-ho's we've discovered. It LOOKS like it's the same size ink containers (6 of the buggers), it FEELS like it's got the same amount of ink, but @£$%^&er me, it always runs out when we need it most.

For light -> medium amounts of work, it works well. The DHCP client is a bit flaky, so assign it an IP address on your network to insure that it is where you *think it is* on the network so you don't have to reboot it/your machines all the time.

Overall I'd give it 70% El Reg -- you were far too kind -- saying that I'd probably buy another..

6. James Pickett

Really?

"colour cartridges should yield 700 ISO pages"

Should? Nobody believes printing speeds, so might not the same hyperbole apply to ink life? I'd be a lot happier if you'd actually tested it...

7. Simon Williams
    Boffin

@Chris Cartledge

But surely you turn your machines off overnight, as we've all been advised to do to save electricity and the planet? That reduces standby costs by a third and brings them down to £4.67 per year. With the cost of just one set of cartridges being £40, electricity costs are going to be swamped.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like