back to article Italian Army gets medi-telemetry earrings

A well-known Italian hi-tech firm says it has just delivered a trial batch of datalink earrings to the Italian army, intended to relay vital-signs telemetry from troops in combat back to the command post in the style of the movie Aliens. Aero Sekur, perhaps best known to Reg readers as the firm behind the Italian individual …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JohnG

Soldiers with earrings?

It reminds me of a Monty Python clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iH1GhM2j8

Seriously though, if each guy is emitting RF, aren't they going to be rather easy for the enemy to find and target?

2. Ian Ferguson
    Dead Vulture

Arms Fair

I've got nothing against you Lewis - your journalism here is always excellent - but the arms fair is just plain sick.

3. subflux
    Thumb Up

Telemetry Earring?

Now all you need Radio Direction Finding kit :)

4. Paul 4

JohnG & subflux

Probably a little late to worry about that to be honest.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

find and target

And jam.

6. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Interesting article

Thanks for that article - always interesting to hear of technology that also has the potential to be useful somewhere else than in theatre..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well

Best just go for the headshot then.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ian Ferguson

I suppose you think that people who develop weapons and defense kit shouldn't sell them? Or should only do so in a way that isn't visible to the public?

Or that nobody should make them at all? That hardly seems practical, as the 'bad guys' rarely adhere to such rules.

My (tiny) company builds driver training devices. You're telling me that going to a mil trade show so that military types know we exist, and might help their guys train to avoid road accidents driving up-armored vehicles, is 'sick'? What, precisely, is sick about that? I'm really curious here - am I a sick individual for helping train troops?

Presumably it's the very existence of war at all that you oppose - otherwise your complaint is sheer nonsense ('War is necessary, but the people who make war stuff shouldn't discuss it with one another in one building because that's disturbing'). So I'd like to know what your suggestion for dealing with genuine military threats is.

Now, please hold on a minute - I know what you're thinking, but the question was not, "Please give me a list of wars with debatable justification" - it was, "give a practical suggestion for dealing with genuine military threats." Maybe we could all stick our fingers in our ears, shut our eyes, and think about bunny rabbits. Then we could avoid all of this 'sick' stuff, right?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Poncho?

Hah! Ahnold showed us that mud is all you need. Weaklings. I bet they can't even lift a minigun. Pansies the lot of them.

Coat? Don't need one. Got my birthday suit and a knife, that's all a REAL soldier needs. And the knife is optional.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Well it makes one thing easier

At least they'll be able to better synchronize surrendering now.

11. Jay 2
    Alien

Gorman is a moron

But at least he got his act together in the end.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like