back to article LG promises 3D plasma telly

Three-dimensional viewing is the name of the game at IFA this year. Not to be outdone by the likes of Panasonic, LG has demoed its own 3D-capable set. And it's a plasma. LG_PDP_02 LG's 3D plasma: may be out next year LG’s Plasma Display Panel (PDP) is, as is the case with Philips’ 3D Cinema telly, still just a proof of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jack Harrer
    Joke

Hmmm

"On LG’s set, these timings are fed out to the glasses by an infrared signal – so a direct line of sight is always required"

I always enjoyed watching TV seating backwards, I think it will not work with that new TV...

2. Wind Farmer
    Boffin

Funny that.....

"On LG’s set, these timings are fed out to the glasses by an infrared signal – so a direct line of sight is always required."

I tend to find that when I'm watching TV I have to maintain a direct line of sight, so that the light emitted by the TV can reach my eyes. My eyes would likely be at or near the centre of these "glasses", so this seems a no-brainer.

3. Richard 31
    Paris Hilton

batteries?

Does the timing signal from the TV mean that the glasses have to have a battery in them?

4. Sam Liddicott

So its not a 3D tv then...

It's all in the 20 year old glasses. Presumably they use plasma because it has a quicker response time than LCD and stops bleed between frames.

Twould be nice if someone could make use of LCD polarization to re-polarize the emitted light so that we could use passive polarized 3D specs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I'm really looking forward to...

... watching indistinct, blurry images moving on the screen in glorious 3D as there's no way I'll be able to wear those glasses and my own glasses at the same time. I've never been able to 'get' 3D because of this problem.

6. this
    Thumb Down

Puppet show

I can just about get the idea of 3d cinema - a sort of total immersion experience as a substitute for actually doing something. But on a TV the little 3d images will just be - I can not think of a better word - silly. The whole 3d thing smacks of desperation to me.

7. Colin Miller

@Sam Liddicott

The disadvantage of passive polarizated lenses is that it stops working if you tilt your head to far to one side. If you're lying on your couch then your eyes get the other's image.

8. Duncan Watts

@Colin Miller

The current movie screens use clockwise and anticlockwise polarisation rather than horizontal and vertical - therefore you don't lose the picture when you tilt your head or put the specs on backwards :)

I had some shutter glasses years ago which worked with the nvidia drivers to make any game (mostly) 3d - there was a fair bit ghosting then and that was using a crt at 100hz :(

9. Wilko
    Go

Holographic chess from Star Wars

...as the bare minimum, or I'm not interested.

10. 4HiMarks
    Megaphone

holo tanks

I'm waiting for them to develop holographic projectors that will put a 3d image in the middle of the room, with no glasses or any other assistance required. I want to be able to get up out of my chair and walk around behind it to see the "reverse angle replay".

Bullhorn looks sort of like a projector. At least it projects sound...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@4HiMarks...

...yes and your first purchase will be a HollyOaks fitness video

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like