back to article California child kidnapper stalked Street View van

A sharp-eyed Boing Boing contributor has spotted what may be alleged kidnapper and rapist Phillip Garrido stalking a Street View van, after he spotted it capturing his house in Antioch, California. Garrido, 58, is accused of kidnapping 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard in 1991 in the Lake Tahoe area of Nevada and holding her for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chase

Second Amendment

With police like this, is there any question why Americans cherish the second amendment?

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Molehill -> Mountain

"The vehicle then stalks the Street View vehicle for a couple of streets:"

Or maybe it's a coincidence and the driver was just going to the store?

3. dervheid

Make a change, then

"But we are beating ourselves up over this and will continue to do so."

They should be doing that for at least three years, as has elapsed since that 'missed opportunity'

Let's also hope theydon't just mean that in a metaphorical sense either.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

@Grease Monkey

Well said that man - maybe we should all rush to check Streetview to find out where the van stopped "tailing" the snoopmobile, and what is down the other streets it may have taken once it gave up the "low-speed pursuit" (my sarcasm, not theirs).

After all, if there is a store selling ropes and other accoutrments of the kidnapper's trade then it must be an open-and-shut case...I mean, it's not like anyone else would have a reason for driving a van while Google's Snoops-R-Us are in the area is it?

AC in case they start following, sorry, /leading/ me too...

5. Eddy Ito
    FAIL

About right

"But we are beating ourselves up over this and will continue to do so."

I hope they let me know when they get tired, I'd be happy to lend a hand, or fist, or two.

6. northern monkey
    Black Helicopters

@Grease Monkey

Yes, but we all know even if he was proven to be going to the store the media would put a different slant on it, such as:

"It was later found that Garrido was in fact driving to the local hardware store, possibly in order to purchase more tarpaulin to extend the makeshift prison in which Miss Dugard was held, along with her two children"

Though the CBS article seems to state the bleeding obvious: "Garrido needs a psychiatric evaluation"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks Hot Weather

Too sunny and warm there

That is probably why the cops couldn't be bothered

8. Dayjo
    Heart

Van.

That van certainly is rapey.

9. Steve Evans

stalking the google car?

He'd have to be pretty damn quick on his feet to see the google car, get the van keys, run to the van, start it and get down his drive before the car has even finished passing his house!

Or do google cars "cruise" at <1mph?

So I vote for him using his van to go somewhere, what a novelty.

10. Tonto Popaduopolos

Hide and seek.

For a moment there Elisabeth Fritzl feared that her championship title was at risk from the newcomer Jaycee Lee Dugard.

11. Simon B
    Grenade

Yet more wank policing

Yet more wank policing, nuff said.

This topic is closed for new posts.