back to article Yorkshire start-up aims to shake up telecoms security

UK-based security appliance firm Syphan aims to shake up telecoms security from an unlikely base in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Syphan is developing a range of 10G (Gigabit) deep packet inspection security appliances, capable of allowing telecoms firms and managed security providers to offer functions such as intrusion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

"deep packet inspection"

is that the same as spying on users' content?

perhaps someone in the industry can enlighten me

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

@Pete 2

FFS take the tin foil hat off. Intrusion prevention is not possible without deep packet inspection.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Rant

Did the owner of this business have anything to say other than "VCs in the UK wouldn't fund us so I don't like them. VCs in Europe are also rotten and wouldn't fund us. We like the VCs in North America though"?

If the answer is "No" then why didn't he start the business in North America?!?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been there

and that office has some really nice roads going to it ;)

Paris 'cos I'm sure she likes to get her curves on some straights.

5. Thomas Whipp

deep packet

a bit of a simplification but "deep packet inspection" = "application content / advanced protcol analysis"

its as opposed to simply reading the basic IP headers

6. George Speller
    Pint

unlikely base in Skipton, North Yorkshire

What's unlikely about that? It's also the home of the Flagcrackers of Craven Morris side and Copper Dragon beer and they're much more unlikeley

7. Josco
    Pint

@George Speller

Copper Dragon Beer.....

Now you're talking!

Lots of lovely beers in Yorkshire, why set up a business any where else?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

re. Rant

If the answer is "No" then why didn't he start the business in North America?!?

I think that this article has two points:

1) A British company trying to develop cutting edge security hardware.

2) British companies wanting to develop hardware have difficulty getting funding from British VCs.

If everyone thought like you, then this country would never produce anything other than incompetent bankers!

9. thomas k.
    Joke

does he have a cat?

Is it a tom?

10. Matt Schofield
    Pint

In Yorkshire?

The only reason why you wouldn't setup an office in Yorkshire is because your average Bracknell based IT VAR or SI would never find the place thinking it was somewhere around Birmingham.

Copper Dragon Fan.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like