back to article MS warns of forced Messenger update

Microsoft has outlined plans to push a mandatory Windows Live Messenger upgrade in order to plug a security hole related to a vulnerable code library. The security vulnerability stems from the use of a vulnerable version of Microsoft's Active Template Library (ATL). A programming error involving the inclusion of an extra "&" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Already happened!

'mandatory updates in these cases won't happen until late October'

This happened to me a week ago! Wouldnt let me log in unless i updated - which was a complete pain in the arse as the standard installer refuses to work with XP x64 even tho the software works perfectly fine on x64.

NOTE: anyone else with this issue should get the msi installer which does not have the OS check on it. Also you will need contacts.msi otherwise it will install but not log in

2. nichomach
    Go

Good.

MS are right to force the update, but I note that they're also providing new feature carrots along with the stick. Sounds OK to me - shame it can't get pushed more quickly, would be my only negative comment.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Gates Horns

Oh CRAP!

I just downgraded Messenger to version, er, 8.1.

8.5. would have done, but 8.1 is the last shipped as a full distributable rather than an installer stub that fetches the code from M$ (or rather doesn't for anything bar the current version), so it's the lastest 8.x version I could find.

The reason? The versions since 8.x are distinctly corp firewall unfriendly and don't bloody work through such!

4. Ocular Sinister
    WTF?

Does anyone still use MS Messenger?

I haven't used it for years, I thought everyone had moved on to GTalk and then Facebook chat... Meh, whatever.

5. OffBeatMammal

People still use Messenger?

call me silly but a messenger client that's focussed on serving ads and promotions for other services is low on my list of things to give screen real estate to

Alternatives such as Digsby (http://www.digsby.com) or Pidgin (http://pidgin.im) seem able to deliver an ad-(and other bloat)-free experience, tabbed chat and multi-service connectivity in a smaller, less intrusive client

6. M Room
    Unhappy

Damn

I use ver 8.1 and have ignored any constant nagging to update.

8.1 has all the features I want and need and every time they update these things, something else creeps in or stops working as you want it.

Forcing me to update is the pits.

7. Pri

8.1 and happy

I'm still on 8.1, cos it's the only version that works with A-patch, which is practically mandatory to use unless you want to be bombarded with adverts, "fun features", and other such teenage wankery that people seem to love so much.

Looks like it's time to find a replacement, if they're going to force me to update to the new version. Goddamn.

8. James O'Brien
    Thumb Down

MSN Mess?

Damn I haven't used that well.....ever really tried it years ago and hated it. I know I'm going to get blasted here but been using AIM for years and love it. At least with AIM i can get rid of the Ads(granted its a hack but oh well). Course AIM 7 isn't looking too hot but oh well.

9. Benny
    Thumb Up

Yup

I would go with Digsby on Win, and Adium on OS X

10. Outcast !!!
    Stop

Digsby...

Pfft... stop recommending the malware-ridden Digsby to others.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

MSN voice and Netbooks

Ok,

SO the fact that on some Atom based netbooks voice is unusable on MSN if you use any of the v14 variants whilst v8.1 and 8.5 work perfectly really doesnt matter..

gonna have to try voice under pidgin then ;-)

12. G 5
    FAIL

Oh no

Compound error - AGAIN!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Benny

I would recommend Pidgin for Linux/BSD, Pidgin for Windows, and Pidgin for Mac OS X. Btw, Adium just uses the libpurple library by Pidgin anyway.

14. Andy Fletcher

I'd recommend....

...blocking it at the firewall. This will kill three birds

1) Stop it updating to a version you don't want

2) Stop your users/children/parents clicking willy nilly on links they get sent and infecting their machines with all sorts

3) Create a huge chunk of time for working previously gobbled up by sending your mates messages like "ROFLMAO"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like